HD camera purchasing question... PLEASE HELP!

Hello-

I am new to the forums here and am looking for some help. I recently decided to jump into the digital age and buy an HD camera. I have used mini-DV for years, and for photography have used 35mm and older nikon digital cameras.

Anyways- I do not know a lot about HD cameras or DSLR's, and was looking for some advice at what to purchase. I don't have the money to buy something very expensive, but am looking at an 8-1,000 budget and would pay off a more expensive camera over time if it came down to that.

I am basically looking for the best bang for my buck, and would mostly be shooting video projects and short films, so I am looking for something that would be best for that, but would also not be a $6,000 camera. I would also be shooting photos.

I am not that up to date with canon and nikon products. I am basically looking for something suitable to get freelance photo/video jobs with, and that would be reliable and up to date for today's standards. I have had to turn down free lance gigs due to not having proper new gear. Please let me know, thanks a lot.

I guess I should also bring up the Nikon vs. Canon question. Its really difficult to decipher between Nikon and Canon in terms of video, because some Nikons are cheaper and have similar specs, but I've heard that canon are better for HD video. Any insight on this? Thanks a bunch.

You can use magic lantern with canon, you cannot with nikon. Therefore canon wins. It's really pretty much as simple as that.

But to take that even a step further, you can use nikon and canon glass on a canon, you cannot use canon glass on a nikon.

Well you said you wanted the best bang for the buck, the 5dm3 is really the best feature/price in the canon lineup IMHO. If you want really good at a lower pricepoint, the T5i is probably the best choice.

*shrug*

You're kind of just pissing in the wind right now. What specific requirements are you looking to fulfill?

I am basically looking for something like the canon 6D, or anything comparable to it. I will be mostly using it for video (films and video jobs).

I found a good deal on a 60D. Know its not as great, but has some advantages and is more in my price range.

I think I misread your original post re: budget. :)

Get the 60D, it's a slight step up from the T#i rebels, and still about the same price as the T5i. It's also supported by magiclantern, so you'll be good there.

If you still have nikon glass (you mentioned previously shooting with a nikon) get yourself an adapter so you can use those lenses as well. Adapters are generally in the ~$20 range, but you'll not be able to use any auto focus features of a nikon lens... not that you'd want to anyway.

I have a 60D, as well as a 5Dc, 5D mkii, 5D mk iii, and EOS-M. As you might guess, I am heavily invested in Canon glass. I really think that the value leader in the Canon lineup right now is the EOS-M. It is a mirror-less, more compact, version of the 60D (same sensor). You can get the M new on ebay for $250.00 and add the M-EF adapter for another $100.00. The menus are all touch screen driven and not very intuitive, but you can't beat the value.

Oooo forgot that canon had one of those. I've got a similar sony, and it's certainly nice having a very wide range of lens options (due to the very small m43-ish flange depth) with a big swanky APS-C sensor.

And the EOS-M is also supported by magic lantern, probably a winner

I ended up going with the 60D, just got it today and am very pleased. Its great and the settings for shooting video are awesome. I will work with it this week and see how I like it. Thanks for all the suggestions though. Appreciate it.

Back