• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Have any of you submitted a query letter or screenplay to agents and producers?

I just finished my screenplay, Disabled David vs Goliath, on Celtx. Script Mailer sent out my query letter to agents and producers this month. How long does it normally take to hear from an agent or producer? Is there perhaps a common time frame once submitting? Your help or advice would be appreciated!

He he, I’ve submitted to lots and usually don’t hear anything back. A few have requested loglines and/or scripts but I haven’t made any sales so far. I don’t think they generally took long to get back to me and I don’t think there was any particular timeline on that.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Wow!! I never actually knew about Script Mailer lol. Thank you for that!!

Even I would like to know this. Has any here ever been successful to pitch an idea or script to a producer or agent?

Yes, when I was a Nicholl's fellowship quarterfinalist a few years back I sent out hundreds upon hundreds. I got a bunch of responses which was honestly based on the Nicholls placing and not some great query I wrote. Honestly, you need to get that out of your head regarding "Who will respond How long will it take for them to get back to me, etc." It can range from a few weeks to never, even after sending the ma follow-up email a month or two later. I've made a few contacts but people don't really get back to you much.

I don't trust any of these mailer or pitch sites. Although I tried VPF for a TV pilot. I got a bunch of requests from producers, agents, etc. Whether it's a mailer or pitch site it's low-level assistants representing the agents/companies & are the ones that are gonna read your script or just the first few pages and toss it out. All these agents, prodcos, managers, etc are mainly on these pay to sites to just be visible and to say they are n the and because they get some money out of it.

Update - I agree with rljon - the idea of a well paid agent or producer reading your script is ridiculous, as is paying for same.

However I did just revise my loglines - I read up on how to write a logline and realized mine were too long - and a few minutes after my first query I was asked to submit a script. I have to send the loglines to more people.

rljon - what’s VPF?

Thank you mlesemann! I was thrilled - but not holding my breath.

Actually now I’m thinking VPF may stand for www.VirtualPitchFest.com, which I’ve just started using. You can pay to submit your scripts but I’m just looking companies up and approaching them directly if they look viable. Some don’t. 😀

This may be good or bad news depending on your point of view...

I've been at all ends of the spectrum... If a producer, agent, or manager wants likes the logline in your query letter? They'll request the script almost immediately... i.e., within a few days. Hopefully, your query letter didn't contain a whole lot more information than your logline because if it did? It can possibly cause people in the industry to ignore it because really? All they want to know (at this point) is if your concept is any good.

That's why it's so important to have a great logline... If your logline grabs them right off? They will want to read the script before anyone else can.

If they aren't replying back to you? Chances are very likely that your concept simply didn't thrill them.

Good luck!

Thank you mlesemann! I was thrilled - but not holding my breath.

Actually now I’m thinking VPF may stand for www.VirtualPitchFest.com, which I’ve just started using. You can pay to submit your scripts but I’m just looking companies up and approaching them directly if they look viable. Some don’t. 😀
It does. I've done the exact same thing after buying 10 pitches and using them. Now I just kook up all the contacts to query them without the middleman.

Back