• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Has anyone left Premiere for FCPX?

Howdy,

I've been inactive here for quite some time but recently I've taken a job as a videographer with a wedding photography company. I have used Premiere Pro for many years but I'm finding that it's taking much longer than I want to edit wedding footage.

I tooled around with FCPX once and while I was unimpressed with its advanced features, I did notice that it automated many tasks and made them simpler and faster (I know, that doesn't necessarily mean better).

Has anybody here made the switch from Premiere to FCP X? If so, have you found it to be any faster for a straightforward edit? Do you find multicam editing and synching to be better/easier in either program?

I'm still leaning toward Premiere since I am already paying for it, and my colorist uses Adobe, but I need to find a solution to speed up my work flow!!

The difference that most stands out to me is the way that FCP will automatically adjust the timeline as clips are rearranged or dropped in. In Premiere there are a number of steps involved to make a timeline longer to add a short clip, whereas FCP performs those steps automatically. We're only talking ten second here, 15 seconds there but in a 60+ minute video this can add up significantly.

Rumdoog, thank you for the link - I'll check out his videos!

In Premiere there are a number of steps involved to make a timeline longer to add a short clip, whereas FCP performs those steps automatically.

Assuming I'm understanding what you're trying to do, press CTRL (I think it's Option on a Mac) while you're dragging a clip to the timeline.

This is all beside the point. Use the software that you're comfortable using. If you prefer FCP, use it. If you find FCP suits your style better, use it. If you can use it and have a faster workflow/turnaround, use it.

.......... In Premiere there are a number of steps involved to make a timeline longer to add a short clip

???

I never have to make my timeline longer.
Yes, I sometimes need to zoom in and out ([+] or [-] ) or to get a complete overview [/].

Only in After Effects I need to adjust the length of compositions [CTRL/CM] + [k] if I want themto have a precise length. (To keep embedded comps in PP tight and neat)

Yep, and I didn't even know about that feature before seeing your suggestion and the video posted!

My one complaint about that feature is that if there's a separate audio track (like a music bed) when you Command-drop the new footage, it cuts that track and creates a gap where you added the new footage. Easy enough to fix but I wonder if there's a way to prevent PP from doing that.

I'm getting the feeling that this will be a never ending cycle of answering the nitty gritty questions about the software package. On top of that, I don't really understand what you're asking.

There is a way to do most things, and quickly. You just need to learn the software better. It's really as simple as that. Read a book, do a course or explore the software thoroughly. You'll learn a lot of things that will help improve your workflow. There are some niggly little things that it cannot do easily that other pieces of software can.

I'm going to leave you to explore your software more. Google searches, youtube videos will help you with a lot of things. I suggest you spend the time learning. It'll help you in the long run.

I agree that this could keep going on and on regarding keystrokes in Premiere. That was never my intention. I was only curious to know if any Premiere users have found Final Cut Pro to be any faster but the discussion took a left turn which I found to be valuable anyway.

Back