H6, mk100 or r26

Prep lacing my lost h4n and been jumping between h6,mk100 and R26 but can't really decide what to go with! My mic is mke 600.. Budget 600.

I'm pretty sure that essentially all three are very very similar, only difference are bells and whistles (different number of xlrs, sizes of screens etc). My main concern is noise but it sounds like all three have similar not-so-great-but-okish preamp..

Audiophiles, do u have preference??

Each has it's positives and negatives. Personally, I'm not fond of Zoom products. The DR-100mkII has a tried and true reputation, although it also has its plusses and minuses. The R-26 is not as popular as some other audio recorders, but is a solid unit.

You could also consider:

Tascam HD-P2 (very nice)

Fostex FR-2 LE (also very nice, but a weak headphone amp)

Marantz PMD661 (a little over your budget, but a real contender)

If I had only $600, the MKE-600 and all of the needed accessories - headphones, boom-pole, shock-mount, good wind protection, quality cables, cases. - I would probably get the DR-100mkII and add a hypercardioid to my kit like the Avantone CK-1 or the sE Electronics SE1A (although it's not a hyper); if you really want to splurge consider the Audix SCX1/HC ($500) or the Audio-Technica AT4053b ($600).

Always remember - opinions are like a$$holes; everybody has one, and they all stink. (even mine..:D.)

Back