Gun Replicas & Licences (UK)

I'm preparing to shoot two short films in the next 8 months, and I'll be using (ideally) a couple of types of replica / prop weapons. The first short would be a crime thriller, and would only require some small hand guns, however, the second film would require more military style SMGs, Handguns and Assault Rifles.

Now, I am aware that in the UK, you require licences, as well as Police and City Council permission, as well as Police Officer observation (if you're an amateur) to film with these types of props. However, I am unaware of the cost of licensing, or the proper procedure to go through in order to obtain one.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciate.

Justin

I'm preparing to shoot two short films in the next 8 months, and I'll be using (ideally) a couple of types of replica / prop weapons. The first short would be a crime thriller, and would only require some small hand guns, however, the second film would require more military style SMGs, Handguns and Assault Rifles.

Now, I am aware that in the UK, you require licences, as well as Police and City Council permission, as well as Police Officer observation (if you're an amateur) to film with these types of props. However, I am unaware of the cost of licensing, or the proper procedure to go through in order to obtain one.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciate.

Justin

I don't know if you've thought about this or not, but maybe use airsoft guns? The right ones look exactly like the real deal, except they won't fire blank shells so you won't get realistic shell ejections, you'd have to add that in. But yeah, with airsoft guns as long as you are away from public, you don't need a licence and it could be ALOT cheaper.

Just a thought

-Andrew

Unless you are a member of an airsoft site you can only purchase brightly coloured guns due to the illegality of replica firearms. I have heard of airsoft stores renting out realistic arms for props, one is wolf armouries who have some legal info on their page
http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/gun.asp?page=film

If this is going to be shot in, near or in view of public I would definitely get police involvement. Just carrying a replic firearm is a crime these days and we all know how trigger happy the Met can be.

Oh, and most airsoft pistols I've seen will not cycle when not loaded and firing balls around is not recommended. I'm guessing shops that hire out specificly for props may well of modified the magazines. Basically a pin on the slider that pushes up the balls will depress a switch when the mag is empty causing the gun to stop cycling. You can remove the slider or even the whole spring from the magazine, that should sort it.

As for procedure I have no idea but all police have a firearms licensing dept and I guess they are the ones to start with. Worth looking in if a firearms trained stunt co-ordinator could exempt you from having a POlice observer and may be cheaper and definately a lot more useful, they will advise on authentic handling, reactions to getting shot etc.

Back