• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Guilt-A 2 min short idea

Hello everybody!

I am working on a new 2 min movie and I came up with an idea. I thought I'd take the opinion of IT forum members as usual. So here it is:

A hostel room cleaner enters a student's dorm room for his regular duty.Looking at a 500 Rs note on the table ,he picks it up and lands it in his pocket while being fully tensed and not 100% sure of the action he has done.The student doesn't notice it and the cleaners goes out .But couple of hours later, he is guilty of what he has done and makes his mind to be free from it.So he goes back to the student's room the next day and carefully tries to keep the note back there but this time the Student catches him .Thinking that he is actually stealing money right now, he asks him leave the room and never come back again while scolding him. But as he comes out of the room, we see our cleaner smiling ,fully satisfied .

The main theme is that, some times,personal satisfaction is more full fulling than other's opinion about you.Whether you are the President or a Room Cleaner, it's the same.

What do you guys think about it?

Now, the main reason why I am planning on such 2-3 min shorts is,I've done couple of 5-10 min one's and they sucked. I want to nail down these mini shorts before I move on to bigger things.:)

Eh, I don't know. It seems a bit flat, if you ask me.

Why not make the cleaning guy an actual thief? Like, he does this a lot all over campus and he has a partner who helps him. One day he's caught stealing the money and the kid gives a completely different reaction to it. Instead of getting mad, he tells him to keep it and then takes him out to lunch where they talk. He turns out to be a really cool guy and some how lead the movie to the end where he ends up stealing from him anyway because his partner influenced him to do so.

So, its like the main character is sort of trapped because he doesn't understand that he's simply a product that was influenced by his environment. And the secondary character can be a mockery on middle class society and their extreme idealism regarding the World. The secondary character feels as though he can change him, but he can't because he doesn't understand who he is and how the individual functions.

But, that's just my two cents. Good luck with the movie!

Why not make the cleaning guy an actual thief? Like, he does this a lot all over campus and he has a partner who helps him. One day he's caught stealing the money and the kid gives a completely different reaction to it. Instead of getting mad, he tells him to keep it and then takes him out to lunch where they talk. He turns out to be a really cool guy and some how lead the movie to the end where he ends up stealing from him anyway because his partner influenced him to do so.

I think this would be a better idea for a longer short film. For 2 minutes I think your idea is fine, but make sure not to rush the preproduction phase. Write the script, get some feedback, rewrite it. Repeat as many times as you like. It may seem like overkill for a 2-minute short film. But I'm sure plenty of ITers here will back me up in saying that preproduction is what really makes a film. Flesh it out.

I've learned that from failing to do enough preproduction. But here's to the learning experience we call filmmaking, hahaha.

Anyway, good luck!!

Back