Greetings from Virginia

I have always been a fan of independent films and have finally decided that I am going to make one this summer. I figured it would be best to have a community of friends to be able to ask questions when I get confused. As I am going through the learning process, I would like to get into using some editing software (which I have never done) and hopefully get something on DVD to enjoy with family and friends.

Right now I am filming on my miniDv and putting some background music in and editing on the VCR when scene cuts need to be made and i have managed to make some impressive (to me) short movies. I then move the video from VHS to DVD. If I knew how to use editing software and probably got a better camcorder (I use a little panasonic PV DV-53), I might be able to get more serious. I have a couple of ideas for movies, but no chance of getting real actors or anything at this point. heck, if real actors showed up at this point, I would misuse their talents and time because I am so unprepared for that point right now.

Anyway, if you've read this far, thanks for taking the time. I see this will be a good place to bring questions and learn more. Where I live there is no where close to rent camera equipment or to get access to actors or anything like that. I was thinking of using Craigslist just to get some people together for a day of unpaid filming for fun (chance at getting a DVD copy pf edited footage or whatever). that would be a lot of fun. Anyway, if anyone would like to offer video editing software advice for a complete novice or suggest a decent camcorder for adequate results while I am learning everything, I will at least check out every suggestion. I know that stuff depends on finances, time, purpose, and on and on, but it is helpful to get some ideas. No use to buy a Canon GL2 and not know how to use most of the features, but there might be something simple to use that is almost as good.

Well, good to be here and hope to see you guys in the forums in the furure. thanks for reading and making me feel welcome.

Back