• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

vfx green screening a multicolored item?

I'm still new to this and I've tried Google searching, finding Youtube tutorial videos ,etc and cant find anything that addresses my situation directly. I'm trying to key out the background but the focal item is multicolored and moving. I've tried multiple background colors and no matter what color i make the background keying it out also keys part of the focal item, I've also tried masking out the focal item but since its moving that only works for a frame or two. Can anyone give me advice on how to remove a background from a multicolored moving item from a 30 +/- second video?

Thanks in advance.

I'm still new to this and I've tried Google searching, finding Youtube tutorial videos ,etc and cant find anything that addresses my situation directly. I'm trying to key out the background but the focal item is multicolored and moving. I've tried multiple background colors and no matter what color i make the background keying it out also keys part of the focal item, I've also tried masking out the focal item but since its moving that only works for a frame or two. Can anyone give me advice on how to remove a background from a multicolored moving item from a 30 +/- second video?

Thanks in advance.
You'll have to key out as you normally would and then have a duplicate of the video over the top and then mask/roto the missing parts back in, it's the only way unfortunately. Unless the background is brighter than the foreground object, then you might be able to create a luma matte. I would need to see the shot really. hope this helps!

Back