• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Green Screen Lighting w/ gels

What type of lighting setup would I use if I wanted to light someone in front of a green screen but also use gels to match the color of my subject with the background I will add in post?

If I use colored gels when lighting my subject will it affect the key I try to pull in post?

Keep the colored light off your screen, keep green spill from your screen off the talent, and as long as you aren't using green gels in the talent you should be fine.

Lighting your talent to match the plate is the correct way to key.

Keep the colored light off your screen, keep green spill from your screen off the talent, and as long as you aren't using green gels in the talent you should be fine.

Lighting your talent to match the plate is the correct way to key.

Good advice. To keep green spill from your actors, make sure you create maximum distance between them and the greenscreen. That creates the most natural lighting situation where you want it.
It also gives you most freedom to go crazy with the lighting on the subject without influencing your ability to pull a good key.

Thanks both of you. I'm getting ready to do a shoot for a music video and this will be my first with a green screen. Any other advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Do some tests. You should play around with green screen and try to get some decent results so that when the day comes when you have to shoot, you're not SOL, trying to piece together horrible footage.

In regards to the color gels, I recommend you thrown an adjustment layer over ALL of your footage, and do the color in grading instead of trying to do it with gels at this point.

As David mentions, you should be lighting to match your plate, which is why you should ways shoot your plate first.

You want to match colour, but also angle, position, height etc.

Back