• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

green screen how to get started

I shot a whole bunch of scenes with blue screen and green screen backgrounds. THe shots were mostly close ups of the actor holding something. I would like to now get a cool background for these scenes. Can someone tell me how I should get started.

What kind of BG are you looking for? Real? Surreal? CG? Matte Paitings?

Just go out and get some video of a BG. I can't really help you until you give me an idea of what kind of BG you're looking for. Once you get it, you'll toss it in AE, key out the green or blue, and drop in your BG. I'm not a master at it, but I can clear up a bit about it, if I knew more.

I have one scene that I want to look like a dance club. I shot the couple in front of a green screen. And so I guess I need to get some footage of a dance club for the background. I thought also however I could just use the color red because that would look nice.

Another series of scenes I have my actor holding items from a store. Now I didn't GS this footage, but do you know if there is anyway of changing the background without the GS? I mean I could simply go back and shoot the actor holding the items with GS but that would take time.

Thanks, Jer

Another series of scenes I have my actor holding items from a store. Now I didn't GS this footage, but do you know if there is anyway of changing the background without the GS? I mean I could simply go back and shoot the actor holding the items with GS but that would take time.

If there's a different coloured monochromatic background behind the actor you could still chromakey the actor - otherwise you'll have to rotoscope it (animate a mask frame by frame to cut out the background).

Back