Got a Thousand Dollars -- What Should I buy?

I want to start making films and only have a thousand dollars.

What basic equipment should I buy to start shooting right away until more money comes in?

I have nothing but my laptop and Cyberlink Director 10.

I'm in a similar situation. I'll be receiving a grant for about $1000 here soon, and also wish to make films. I have a laptop with the Adobe CS5 software, so that's pretty well taken care of.

What I plan to use my money on is a Nikon D3100 Digital SLR camera. It not only shoots pictures, but also shoots video in 1080p, and with the standard lens included, you'll shoot cinema style footage. One of my friends at college has one of these, and we used it for all the films we shot for class and the film club.

This is an entry level camera, but does so much. It's only $650 in most places, but I have seen it for $600 or even refurbed for $500.

My only complaint with this camera is the lack of a microphone input. While the sound is generally good indoors, it picks up a lot of wind noise outdoors. You may want to buy an external recording device with a windscreen if you plan a lot of outdoor shooting.

I'm in a similar situation. I'll be receiving a grant for about $1000 here soon, and also wish to make films. I have a laptop with the Adobe CS5 software, so that's pretty well taken care of.

What I plan to use my money on is a Nikon D3100 Digital SLR camera. It not only shoots pictures, but also shoots video in 1080p, and with the standard lens included, you'll shoot cinema style footage. One of my friends at college has one of these, and we used it for all the films we shot for class and the film club.

This is an entry level camera, but does so much. It's only $650 in most places, but I have seen it for $600 or even refurbed for $500.

My only complaint with this camera is the lack of a microphone input. While the sound is generally good indoors, it picks up a lot of wind noise outdoors. You may want to buy an external recording device with a windscreen if you plan a lot of outdoor shooting.

Thanks for the tip.

When I left the forums five years ago nobody was talking about Digital SLRs for movie-making; now they're all the rage.

Can somone else comment on this?

I've decided on the Nikon 5100 and a Rode Video Mic Pro.

The Nikon will be refurbished and sells for about $660. The Rode 230.

That's right about $1000.

And that's what I'll be shooting my feature with.

Think I can pull it off?

Any other equipment suggestions? I actually have $500 more to spend.

Other than a nice tripod, a Tascam DR 100 to get your audio off the camera.
Camera mic's only good for collecting audio <6' out.
The feature's going to look funny if every dialog shot's inside that range.

Also, at this budget range you SHOULD set aside or earmark an equal amount to your production budget for promotion/festival circuit costs since picking up a distributor is going to be rather... (what's a less confrontational word than "unlikely"?)... mmm... remote!

GL!

Other than a nice tripod, a Tascam DR 100 to get your audio off the camera.
Camera mic's only good for collecting audio <6' out.
The feature's going to look funny if every dialog shot's inside that range.

Also, at this budget range you SHOULD set aside or earmark an equal amount to your production budget for promotion/festival circuit costs since picking up a distributor is going to be rather... (what's a less confrontational word than "unlikely"?)... mmm... remote!

GL!

Little unsure of how the tascom works.

Can it replace the rode as a stand alone mic? Will it interface with the Nikon 5100?

Nah, nah, nah.

The Tascam is a nice portable field recorder the video mic plugs into, typically at the end of a boom pole with some cable between them.

[Microphone ----> Cable] ----> Field Recorder
[attached to boom pole ]

That set up is carried around by your boom pole guy/operator.

135411679.jpg

6345498640_d38c71bfeb_z.jpg

263585_10150656342555182_143906880181_19558480_6346204_n.jpg

4399748064_9975cf5c51.jpg

You're the guy with the camera doing your thing.
Boom operator is your guy getting that mic close enough to the voice to EFFECTIVELY record it beyond the PRACTICAL range of the camera mic.

I've decided on the Nikon 5100 and a Rode Video Mic Pro.

The Nikon will be refurbished and sells for about $660. The Rode 230.

That's right about $1000.

And that's what I'll be shooting my feature with.

Think I can pull it off?

Any other equipment suggestions? I actually have $500 more to spend.

You found a refurbed D5100 for $660? Hmm, I'd rather have one of those, since it has a mic input. Do you have a link of where I can pick one up?

Thanks for the tip.

When I left the forums five years ago nobody was talking about Digital SLRs for movie-making; now they're all the rage.

Can somone else comment on this?
Same here . The technologies took time to merge because ( imho ) still photographers could care less about motion picture capture and most DP's on a film set hire a still photographer to do their stills work . They are two separate skill sets , which for so long required two separate machines to achieve high image quality in each field . That era is over . :cool:

Last edited:
Back