Got A Short Film

Okay, so i got this short film that i started writing and it'll probably be done in a few weeks but i'm thinking of how to shoot it. I want it to have a specific atmosphere about it but i don't know how to use specific camera's and what not to capture it. any thoughts?

(and if you need to know what it's about first, i guess you can private message me and i'll tell you.)

Last edited:
Do test shots with the camera and lighting to acheive the look you want. Every pro does tests.

If you're saying you dont know how to light or use a camera then you have more problems than trying to establish a look for the film.

Like he said, do tests, and decide on your style before doing anything...

Can you tell us briefly what kind of style you are going for?
eg. western, cool blue cop-drama, artistic, etc.

You should really experiment and find your own style, but research these things before you dive into them, as it would help your film if you know better what you are doing before hand.

There are also lots of guides on the internet floating around... I can't think of any now, but try searching it.

TO: Spatula

Well, Its Actually Kind Of Hard To Explain The Type Of Style I'm Going For. As Far As Appearance, I Want It To Look Like A Movie I Had Once Seen Called "white Oleandor." Or Like " Matchstick Men" The Appearanc Eof Those Movies Just Seemed Like Something You Could Be Watching Unfold Right Before Your Eyes, But Yeah, I Shouldstop Being Lazy And Research It Myself, Lol. I Just Want It To Come out Good. The Movie Itself Is Sad. Its A Short About Two People Who Meet In The Park And Befriend Eachother Under Weird Circumstances ( Two Women) And They Meet Every Thursday Kkind Of Routinely And Just As They Really Begin To Like Eachother ( Romantically) One Of Them Dies And The Other Doesn't Find Out Until About Two Or So Weeks Later When She Read The Newspaper And Sees The Girl's Face In The Obituary. A Few Extra Things Happen After That But Its More About The Emotional Impact Of Meeting Someone You Could Possibly See Yourself Loving And Having Them Be Taken Away So Suddenly. I Want It To Be Perfect Because Even Though It Sounds Dorky The Way I'm Discribing It, I Love The Whole Script. Well, Thnk You For Your Advice Anyway, I Welcome Any Other Pointers You Might Have Seeing That I'm Usually Jus The Writer And I'm Just Trying My Hand At Directing.
-thanx

WideShot said:
Do test shots with the camera and lighting to acheive the look you want. Every pro does tests.

If you're saying you dont know how to light or use a camera then you have more problems than trying to establish a look for the film.
i'm not talking about lighting, i'm talking about the appearance. how it shows on the screen. as in will it be like "traffic" with the blue and yellow hues, or will it be like "white oleandor" with the constant semi-sunny appearance. i get what you mean though so thanx for you're reply anyway.

Look (A very common term) = appearance on screen as created by lighting, camera angles, and post production, Generally in that order.

Back