Good Tutorial Websites

While I was trying to figure out where to post a link to a site that I'm finding very helpful as a newbie, I figured I could just make a thread in the newbie section that could include a request for other similar sites. That way it helps more than just myself :)

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

Of course, not knowing anything about this kind-of stuff, the site could be terrible and could be telling me all sorts of nonsense that I shouldn't listen to. Until someone informs me otherwise, however, I think it's a great site for newbies.

I learned like 80 % I know about film, gear & editing through youtube. It is amazing. How can you not love it? Just check out the channels: Indymogul, Film Riot an Knoptop!
And if you ever ask yourself something about a computer program--> typ it in the search bar and BAM !: tutorials all over the place!

You will need to learn how to search better on YouTube.

Many of the best tutorial websites upload to YouTube, then embed the video on their websites........

That's the problem I have with it though. It's difficult to determine just what is a good video and what isn't solely through YouTube. Through a website it's much easier to determine the quality of the information and with associated forums, get an idea of the level of knowledge within the community.

So while I wouldn't begrudge a link from a reputable website to a YouTube video, YouTube by itself isn't useful to me without that frame of reference to help guide me. At this point, I'm flailing about in the water. Maybe once I know more I can refine my searches better and be able to judge more accurately the quality of information solely through YouTube sites. That day is not now, however.

That's the problem I have with it though. It's difficult to determine just what is a good video and what isn't solely through YouTube. Through a website it's much easier to determine the quality of the information and with associated forums, get an idea of the level of knowledge within the community.

So while I wouldn't begrudge a link from a reputable website to a YouTube video, YouTube by itself isn't useful to me without that frame of reference to help guide me. At this point, I'm flailing about in the water. Maybe once I know more I can refine my searches better and be able to judge more accurately the quality of information solely through YouTube sites. That day is not now, however.

What kind of tutorials are you looking for?

It's not tooo hard to judge the quality of a tutorial. If the person offers a lot of objective advice rather than tons of opinions, if they base their assertions on facts they can demonstrate to you in the video, then you can be pretty sure it's solid.
If on the other hand they talk non-stop for 10 minutes and you haven't learnt anything, they've constantly said "I like to" instead of using a more solid foundation (idea, proof, conclusion: "You can try this, it does this *demonstration*. All of that allows you to...) then yep, it's a bad tutorial.

The next step is to read the comments section. It's common for people to disagree with a point in a video so don't take that as a sign. What you DO need to look for is the video maker's personality (in their video too, but comments even more). If they're level headed and answer accusations with solid answers and proof as well as offering advice then you can be even more reassured.

Last edited:
It's not tooo hard to judge the quality of a tutorial. If the person offers a lot of objective advice rather than tons of opinions, if they base their assertions on facts they can demonstrate to you in the video, then you can be pretty sure it's solid.
Oh sure, in that sense I agree. But how do I FIND them in the first place? A website is generally more accessible. For instance, the one I linked to in my OP was the second website I clicked on after just one Google search. Finding the equivalent quality and abundance of material in one place, rather than individual movies on YouTube would be daunting to say the least.

Hence why I was asking for others to link stuff. Hell, if you want to link YouTube channels that's cool.

Like someone said.

Watch Film Riot: entertaining and educational to the newbie.

Watch some of the older Indy Mogul episodes particularly backyard fx.

Watch some frugal film maker for some DIY builds (pay attention though coz in Australia half the stuff has a different name or different measurement etc :|

The bulk of my learning from all things film including editing and so on comes from at least 50% trial and error. The rest is mentors (person smarter than me at a program) giving me a few kick starting pointers, video copilot.net, indie talk, discussion with professionals / other amateurs, random shows like Film Riot (though for me I watch it more for entertainment now), watching other films and TV shows in detail including behind the scenes.

What I'm trying to say is you're NOT going to learn it all online, there are a lot of different places to learn new things and as you progress some of these will be more important. For example a few years ago I was only semi interested in talking to actual professionals in the field. Now I want to meet as many as I can.

Usually on YouTube the number of views and feedback ratio as well as the quality of the first 10-30 seconds of the video are how you can tell if what you're about to engage in will be useful or not.

*may I also add that there are many experiences where I'm sure I didn't even realize I was learning. And general life experience helps too...

Last edited:
Ok, those channels definitely look good. Then again, I suppose they're more like websites than individual videos uploaded to YouTube.

Thanks.

Yes, you can better search for CHANNELS on youtube , if you're not looking for specific info.
As I already said, Indymogul and FilmRiot are my favorits.

I have found the best way to learn is to start playing around in the program you are working with. When you get stuck or want to learn how to do something you saw in another video search how to do it on the internet. There is almost always a video explaining how to do what you want.

Back