• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Good structure / skeleton for traditional linear script?

I'm working on my first indie feature. I have 4-5 'ok' ideas, widdling them down to 1 to begin really hashing out a full spec script.

What is a good resource to use as a structure for a linear screen play? As detailed a structure as possible would work great. I'm finding that organization of my screen play is really proving to be a big challenge for me, so anything that helps keep my script moving and well paced would be great.

Any ideas? thanks!

I think that you mean "whittling."

whit·tle [hwit-l, wit-l] verb, whit·tled, whit·tling, noun
verb (used with object)

1. to cut, trim, or shape (a stick, piece of wood, etc.) by carving off bits with a knife.

2. to form by whittling: to whittle a figure.

3. to cut off (a bit).

4. to reduce the amount of, as if by whittling; pare down; take away by degrees (usually followed by down, away, etc.): to whittle down the company's overhead; to whittle away one's inheritance.

If you are going to be a writer it helps if you actually know language, grammar and usage.

Syd Field is the best. I spent a week in Los Angeles taking a class with him and tape recorded the class.

Basic structure is the three act screenplay.

Act One

Introduce your main characters and what their want and needs are.

Act Two

The Conflict. The struggle in your story and the journey of your lead characters.

Act Three

The Resolution

End of the journey for now. How was the struggle resolved?

Back