Good place to find news articles/stories that I could adapt into short film?

Hi there. I need to get a hold of some interesting news articles/stories(non fiction) that would make a good short film for Uni.

I'm open to all kinds of stories. Absolutely anything is welcome.

Just nothing too big that would be impossible to cover in a short film like something about the royal family or the war in Iraq.

Thanks in advance!

I'm even open to funny articles!

Obviously I've looked at the big places like that. I've got a few decent stuff. But I'd like to see some smaller stories if possible...interesting stuff from around the world...

The media only ever seems to report negative things so it's hard to find happy, romantic or inspiring stories.

If you guys know of any incidents that you might have heard of or read about in the news that I can do some research on that would be great too! I can do the research, I just need to find the topics..

I'm not interested in news like the iraq war, american election etc...I'm more interested in finding stories about normal people. The big media chains don't really report stuff like this so if you guys know of ANY other places or even blogs where you can find out about interesting real life stories and events that would be super helpful to me.

Last edited:
So look up local newspapers of different cities. There's too much out there to give links unless you're being super-specific, though to be honest "normal people" don't really make the news.

Last edited:
Seeing you are based in London, I tell you where I always find great stories from all over the world...

The Sun Newspaper, not the most groundbreaking editorial in the world but bare with me.... on most pages they have what they call "Sun Spots" which are very short (less than 140 characters) news items that are sometimes funny, weird or just a bit of the norm.

One I always remember was a guy from the USA who had broken out of jail and was on the run, but he was sending the police pictures of him living it up at theme parks and attractions. haha

What about documentary crime shows? Sure they are not positive, but they got a lot of interesting stories, that could make for great movie material.

Back