Going to Film School

I was wondering how many people on this website went to film school. I have been thinking about whether to go or not. The only reasons I can think of to go is to network and to learn to use film equipment.

32K for this school and I have loans from other colleges I've attended. I'm not too worried about all the debt because my career will be worth it. I don't plan on paying off loans for the rest of my life. I believe in myself enough to know that when I get my company started and running that I'll be able to pay back the loans within the next 5 years.

I feel the same way. I'm confident I'll be successful, but still I hate owing money so the less money I end up owing the better.

I went to film school. Loved it. Am I in debt, yes but c'est la vie. I wanted a degree. Did I make connections, yes a ton. Still call on them when I want to shoot projects. There is a lot more to learning to make films than just watching them obsessively.

I'd check out this site for more information. As one of my closest friends (currently a director and cinematographer) says, "Film School is where kids go so they can compete or make friends with the next creative genius."
http://tv-filmschools.com

What was your favorite part of film school?

I finished film school last year, and was fortunate to go to one with 35mm cameras and wide (no pun intended) array of carl zeiss master primes. I say go for about a year, and you will know what your getting into, there is an enormous amount of dropouts in film schools, due in part to some ill fated pre conceived notion that its all lights camera and action, and hot actresses, really not the case, filmmaking is an incredibly demanding job, doesnt matter if your the Director or the caterer. you will get to learn about the gear (thats obvious) and will be given your chance to fall into your niche i.e Editing, cinematography, VFX, etc etc.
but the number one thing i came out of film school with, was the ability to make a few phone calls, email a script out, and have 20 people on set the next week, who i know, and have confidence in their work. the 25000 i paid for film school, is not even equatable with having a community of filmmakers to work with..... hope it works out for you

I feel like it doesn't make sense to go if you're a really creative type, you're better off just making a short film or a feature with that money instead, if it's good it'll get you wayyy farther than film school could

but for more technical fields sure

Last edited:
I'm currently in a community college. And next fall, I'll be transferring to a film school here in Chicago.

Is it necessary? Not really. But I know it's going to be beneficial in the progression of my career as a filmmaker. It'll be all worth it.

I feel like it doesn't make sense to go if you're a really creative type, you're better off just making a short film or a feature with that money instead, if it's good it'll get you wayyy farther than film school could

but for more technical fields sure

I definitely want to go to learn the technical parts of film making. Also to make contacts. That's pretty much the most important things I'll get out of going to film school, imo.

Back