Going Rate for an Unprofessional

Hey guys,

SO I've picked up a few mom and pop shops that want me to direct commercials for them, and we're about to discuss financials. As someone who has never made a commercial before, should I work for free on the first few commercials, and then start charging after I build up experience? And if so, how do I charge for work? Do I charge hourly, or at a set price for certain lengths?

Any reply is appreciated, thank you for the read.

Start charging right from the beginning, at least enough to cover all of your expenses - and I mean ALL of them, including hard drives, archiving, gas, expendables, etc., etc., etc.

Once you're ready to take the next step up figure out a decent hourly wage and add that to your expenses.

One last thing... You are a professional as you are taking money for your services.

I agree with Alcove, start by charging expenses only. I'd add though, make sure you are absolutely clear what these commercials are for, where they intend to be used/shown; the web, local TV or cinema, etc. Although you will only be charging expenses, you will be charging and you will therefore need to provide your clients with a product/commercial which is fit for purpose. This means researching and understanding the requirements of your local TV station/s or cinemas and being prepared (if necessary) to turn down potential clients if you can't meet those requirements.

G

I guess that we have different market perspectives. Buffalo is probably a lot different than the NY Metro area.

I started out doing "freebees" plus expenses. I gradually built up my rates as demand picked up. Granted, it was a lot easier as my studio is in my home. It saved such expenses as rent, utilities, commuting, etc., although I eventually built those into my rates as well.

The easy part about Buffalo is the lack of competition or any real standards. I've seen businesses make their own commercials, some hire real experts.

As nice as it must be to work from home, in buffalo making a decent commercial might only take a day.

The value is the price that the market will bear. Essentially, what people are willing to pay. It sounds like you know your market better than us, so go out and see if you can charge the rates you think you can get away with.

Back