Go See "Primer"

Watched the movie "Primer" last night. It was written, directed, produced, edited and starred Shane Carruth. He also did all the music and sound design. If he is to be believed, the film, shot on Super 16, cost all of $7000 to shoot, edit and get accepted to Sundance. Of course, the blowup to 35mm for Sundance cost $35,000 but by then, someone had seen the value of the film and decided to help him out. It won the audience award (I believe) at Sundance and was picked up by ThinkFilm for distribution.

The story is "dense" with a lot of technical jargon. To me, it plays like an episode of ER in the sense that the jargon is incomprehensible at times but you always have a good sense of what's going on. For example, when the two guys stare incredulously at the "machine" after disconnecting the batteries supplying power and the thing still runs, you know something's up.

From last night's Q&A (it was an IFP screening and Shane was there along with the other lead actor), it seems that Shane addressed the challenge of making the film like an engineering problem (which he used to be - an engineer, I mean, not an engineering problem). So he would ask, let's see, how do you capture light on film stock? Read everything you can about cinematography and then experiment with a 35mm still camera. Can't afford alot of film? Shoot at a 2:1 ratio and try to get it right on the first take. Want to have a dolly shot but not sure how that would work? Go to a rental house, take a look at what you can afford, learn how the dolly works and then write the scene accordingly. It appears it took him a year to write the script (and do pre-production - he would only write scenes in locations he knew he would have available), five weeks to shoot and two years to edit.

All of the behind-the-scenes stuff aside, the film is very good, in my opinion. There were a couple of moments where the film dragged, or the sound wasn't perfect (very few) or where the cinematography was a bit self-conciously "oh, look at me." But those moments for me were few and far between and I really enjoyed the film. I definitely feel he got more out of his $7000 than Robert Rodriguez did on El Mariachi or Chris Kentis did on Open Water (two films I loved, by the way). Shane also seems pretty humble, talking about how he hopes to have a chance to do more films. Always nice to see someone make it and not get caught up in the hype created by those trying to make money from his film.

Wow, I just re-read this and realized I sound like a shill. I guess it's because I'm working on my own first feature that I get really excited whenever I see a no-name hit it big with an interesting story and visuals. It's either that or sit with my arms crossed and bitterness sweating out of my pores because someone else has made a great film and I'm still in the planning stages. Hmmm, positive thoughts, positive thoughts. . .

Anyway, I was pretty excited about his movie and his story. Hope you get a chance to see it.

Oh, I almost forgot. For me as a filmmaker, the best part of the film were the credits. The "crew" was all of, I think, five people long. Very cool!

This sounds like a fascinating film, I'll definately check it out.

I've got nothing but admiration for anyone who can turn out a high end product for that kind of money.

I've been hearing big things about this film for months now. It was at the Toronto International Film Festival when I was there, but I missed it. I'll have to look for it here in Pittsburgh if it comes through.

Oooo I just watched the trailer... apparently it's playing at the Lagoon here in Minneapolis.. I might could have to go see that this week.

I saw this last weekend. Wow, what a complex film! It's an amazing first film.

The one thing I most loved about it was the way the film never really treated the audience like school children when it came to the science of the film. You either understood what they were doing, or you were lost. But I guess, you didn't really need to understand them, you could gather enough from their reactions to know what was going on. It was fun trying to piece together everything in my head.

This is probably one of the most realistic looking, modern-day science fiction films I have ever seen.

I'm thinking of seeing this tomorrow night ... the thing is, The Incredibles comes out tomorrow, and I don't know if I can resist it.

Poke

Low Budget = A Film's Hook

I know how all the articles on the internet are saying that this film was made for only $7,000. But let's be reasonable people, this is obviously a lovely marketing device used by the studio to sell this film.

He may have spent $7000 out of his own pocket, but what it was actually spent on is only detailed as being what he paid for film stock. We all know there are many other expenses to be accounted for in the production of a film like this. I'm sure it got a nice budget for it's extra post-production work to make it suitable for theatres as well, not to mention it was blown up from 16mm to 35mm, which is a costly process.

It was the same thing with Robert Rodriguez's "El Mariachi", I think he spent somewhere around $16,000. Edited it on a linear video editing suite and pitched it to studios. Columbia then took the original negatives, re-edited it, blew it up to 35mm, gave it some nice titles and is the film we see today.

I haven't seen Primer yet myself, and I'm not dogging it at all, just don't get too excited about the low budget. Try and always pay attention to what the studio doesn't tell us about a film's production.

I plan on seein' it, although I think it's already been through San Francisco, perhaps I can catch it elsewhere

In the Q&A with the filmmaker, he was asked about this very same issue. He was very clear that there was a cost of about $35,000 for the blow up. But the film was shot, edited, got through post and was accepted to Sundance on $7,000. And, of course, P&A costs are not included here (but then neither are they included when you hear about a $100 million picture).

Could be a marketing hook, sure. But considering the guy did everything himself (including post sound and music), I am inclined to believe it much more than El Mariachi (which apparently had horrible sound).

El Mariachi, like Primer had a shooting budget of $7,000. Both Rodriguez and Carruth have been clear that this was their shooting budget and more money was spent after a distributor picked the film up. For Primer, ThinkFilm spent $35,000 (like cyan said) for the blow up. For El Mariachi, Sony spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $120,000 because (also as cyan said) the film needed a completely new sound mix.

I think Primer is a marvelous example of how far guerilla filmmaking has come since Rodriguez burst on the scene. For the same amount of money, Carruth got a better looking and better sounding film because he studied how to shoot a film for cheap from the likes of Rodriguez and Smith.

Poke

Back