GH3 and Reflex Mirror DSLRs

Primary market for DSLR is still stills shooters many of whom are not going to want to give up the ability to actually look through the lens instead of seeing an electronic representation of what the lens sees.

Hey that's interesting. And what Gonzo said. And, who knows, maybe Panasonic is the future, but I wouldn't be too sure about mirrorless unless and until Canon and Nikon jump on board, if ever. And, what about the tons of professionals and nonprofessionals who are heavily invested in those Nikon and Canon lenses he's knocking? And one little reality check. He says that if you buy a DSLR today, it's going to depreciate. Well, uh, same as it ever was. Mirrorles-take-over, or not, if you by a DSLR, or probably any digital camera, it's going to lose value rather quickly. And, will these mirrorless cameras continue to have only the micro four thirds sensor? I doubt that that will revolutionize the photo world. Might be good enough for videographers and filmmakers, but I have a difficult time believing many serious still photographers will be satisfied with only that, if that's the case.

Thanks for sharing. =)

Edit**

He mentions that Sony camera. I guess he said it's the best camera ever? Is it a mirrorless camera? Is it a full frame camera? If so, nice. But, what about the light loss that happens with Sony mirrorless compared to DSLRs? Are photographers embracing that? Will they be embracing it in three years?

Edit**

I love DigitalRevTV. Hey, who doesn't?! But Will Crockett's comments about photo journalism morphing into a hybrid with video journalism, more or less, reminded me of this DigitRev show with special guest Dan Chung. Mr. Chung says that photo journalism is a dying profession, and Kai won't let him live it down. Pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8vCANduzJE

Last edited:
You guys realize Canon actually already has gone mirrorless on the lower end, right? EF-M -- it's just a matter of time before the rest of the line-up follows suit, and with it new glass.

It's really good that Canon has entered the mirrorless market and that the Canon mirrorless is finally shipping. In case you missed it, there's a pretty funny review of the EOS-M and comparison to its mirrorless competition here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJoV9UQ8FE

Looks like Canon has the autofocus piece of it figured out. Now, all they have to do is put a viewfinder on it, do something about moire and lift the 30 minute clip length limit to show they're serious. If they did that on a mirrorless camera, I would seriously consider coming back to Canon.

"Looks like Canon has the autofocus piece of it figured out. Now, all they have to do is put a viewfinder on it, do something about moire and lift the 30 minute clip length limit to show they're serious."

Of those, moire is the only thing I care at all about. Couldn't care less about any of the others.

Back