Gh2 - Which hack for purpose?

I finally have the camera I've been drooling over for months!! I will admit this thread is somewhat celebratory in nature :)

But, honestly while it's on its way being shipped, I'm trying to figure out which hack will be right for me. I've heard Driftwood is great but unstable and will cost me a really really pricey card. I've checked out Sanity and it seems like it may be more stable and will work with my exisiting Class 10 Patriot 32GB card. I wish there were just a list of what hack is good for what purpose, (ie flowmotion for 60fps shooting, etc).

Are there any general purposes each hack is good for? Just trying to decided which to install..

There is no best for each purpose, exactly. Each hack tries it's best in it's own way, and most patches has different modes of encoding: All-Intra means 'complete frames' and better image quality but larger files; and GOP-[number] containing P and B frames for smaller files. Keep in mind that I'm roughly simplifying a lot of complicated algoritms.

But if you want a really practical guide to know the basic rules for the hacks, I tell you:

- Sedna AQ1: best quality, monster files. Unsafe hack. Awesome "cinematic look" even in low light. Never, never use it in a situation that you can't fail - like an unique interview, for example, or a wedding. Because it is a fallible patch, specially when using any card lower than 64/95. But even with the fastest card, there is still a possible error which occurs when you record two long takes in sequence without a short one between. It crashes and do not allow you to record anymore until you format the card (but you don't lose the recorded files, just copy and format it). As you can see, despite it being the best hack, it's a tool to be used in sets and situations in which you have absolute control of time and scene.

- Flowmotion 2.02: below Sedna, the best one. And this is absolutely safe. You can use for any purpose and trust that the camera will not crash. And the files are way smaller, giving you the possibility of recording more video.

- Any other hack: try, test, play around and see what they do.

- Flowmotion 2.02: below Sedna, the best one. And this is absolutely safe. You can use for any purpose and trust that the camera will not crash. And the files are way smaller, giving you the possibility of recording more video.

Agreed with FernandoAndre; I've been doing very well for a number of months with Flowmotion 2.02 on my GH2 (note that I'm not a pro shooter). I recorded a video timelapse of a moonrise with it, and the camera/card went for 30+ minutes without shutting down or any other problem. Looks good when I edit, as well.

Note that you need a super-duper SD card for these hacks, and while all hacks are not the same in this regard, I'd plunk down the bucks and get a gonzo card and be ready to try other hacks. What works well for me is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...&qid=1370323493&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+95+64

Oh, and get your patch settings and shooting "flow" in good shape before using hacks on critical shoots.

Best of luck!

There is no best for each purpose, exactly. Each hack tries it's best in it's own way, and most patches has different modes of encoding: All-Intra means 'complete frames' and better image quality but larger files; and GOP-[number] containing P and B frames for smaller files. Keep in mind that I'm roughly simplifying a lot of complicated algoritms.

But if you want a really practical guide to know the basic rules for the hacks, I tell you:

- Sedna AQ1: best quality, monster files. Unsafe hack. Awesome "cinematic look" even in low light. Never, never use it in a situation that you can't fail - like an unique interview, for example, or a wedding. Because it is a fallible patch, specially when using any card lower than 64/95. But even with the fastest card, there is still a possible error which occurs when you record two long takes in sequence without a short one between. It crashes and do not allow you to record anymore until you format the card (but you don't lose the recorded files, just copy and format it). As you can see, despite it being the best hack, it's a tool to be used in sets and situations in which you have absolute control of time and scene.

Haha, so I guess it was Sedna AQ1 that was installed on that GH2 I borrowed from a friend.

I had that memory card problem twice during the wedding and it took nearly 1 hour each time to transfer the files (my MBP didn't want to play nice with the card so I had to do it through USB...)

Back