GH2 - lens adapter question, and Manual f-stop focus?

Hey all, if you read my last thread you'd see I settled upon the GH2. Yay me! Anyways I am now deciding between some lenses and I have basically come down to this - one of the three zooms, and one of the two primes below. My questions to you are: what lens adapter best works with these lenses, for the GH2? If I choose the 50mm prime, will the manual f-stop thing (what's the proper term for that?) work since it's on an adapter? And a generalised question - I notice some prime lenses have manual f-stop "things", and some do not. On the ones that don't, how do you control the f-stop on the fly? It would seem like a huge hindrance not to be able to do that? Anyways...thanks for all the help :)

One of two primes:
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

One of three zooms:
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens
SIGMA 70-300MM F4-5.6 DG NIKON

As always, any other direction towards better lenses in the same price range won't be ignored. Thanks for any insight you can lend.

- Joey L.

Last edited:
The f-stop "things" are aperture rings (I'm 99% sure that's what they're called). If it doesn't have one, then you can't control it without putting it on a Nikon body. The GH2 with an adapter doesn't have any controls over the lens it's attached to. So make sure you only buy lenses that have an aperture ring.

The f-stop "things" are aperture rings (I'm 99% sure that's what they're called). If it doesn't have one, then you can't control it without putting it on a Nikon body. The GH2 with an adapter doesn't have any controls over the lens it's attached to. So make sure you only buy lenses that have an aperture ring.

So just to clarify, if I have this setup...

Lens with Aperture Ring -> Adapter -> GH2

...I will be able to manually control the Aperture Ring still, even though there's an adapter between the two? Thanks for the heads up - I was leaning towards the 35mm but it looks like the 50mm is now the default winner!

You should be able to operate the lens with all its manual functions with the adapter. I use Canon lenses and the adapter will control the aperture (smoothly, no clicks) and the ring on the lens (click) works as well.... Results may vary.

^good points. Ahh, I'm so stuck on whether to get a Nikoke 18-55mm or a Sigma 70-300mm. The 18 seems more practical for my uses, but the 70 sounds like more fun in general

At least I can say I've settled on my prime

Also, I seem to have settled on: FOTODIOX NIKON LENS M-4/3 MOUNT ADAPTER

Back