GH2 Frame rate question

I feel like a noob, but it's better to swallow my pride and get the footage I want than to act like I know what I'm doing and settle for sub-par shots. How do I record with 60i fps? The manual says I need to record with "AVCHD (1080i)" Using FSH. But for some reason, no matter what buttons I press or menus I go through I can't get it to record in 60i. I get 29fps. I know I am just missing something, but I don't know what. I've only used an old school film camera before, and am just a little bamboozled with the GH2. I'm slowly learning it and love it so far, but I can't get 60i. I prefer 24p for filming, but I want to mess around with slow motion, for which I want to use 60i. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -M

haha, welcome to the dark side of the GH2 world.. lame menus and horrid manuals.

OK, here goes..
Set Camera wheel thingy to Movie mode
Press menu button
Push the Left arrow until your in the list of menu icons... you might have started here..
Push up arrow until you find the CREATIVE MOVIE menu
Push the Right Arrow to enter the CREATIVE MOVE menu
Highlight "Manual Movie Mode"
Press the Display button
If you SWITCH to this mode, It will say "i MANUAL MOVIE MODE" Manual change the aperture and shutter speed. If you get this menu press menu to go back to the preview .. press menu again and get back into the list of menu icons.
up arrow to find the "MOTION PICTURE" menu enter it by pressing right arrow
Down arrow until you fit the REC MODE menu
Right arrow to enter the REC MODE sub menu
Chose AVCHD(1080i)
Press SET button

Congrats, you just set the "F" part of FSH mode..

This should put you back into the MOTION PICTURE menu.
Down arrow to REC QUALITY
Right arrow to enter REC QUALITY sub menu
Highlight "SH"
Press SET button

WOHO! You are now in FSH mode..

Now I have to ask.. why? 24p is the best mode for video on this cam?

dr_stilly, nope he asked for 60i.

Likely he IS in 60i, and does not understand that 60i and 29fps are the same thing.

Suggested areas of research for the OP. "What does the "i" in 60i mean" :)

I prefer the look of 24p as opposed to the rest of the available settings.

I thought so. Still getting used to things. And 'i' means interlaced. I've looked into it but seem to have forgotten that the 60i is in fact two split frames per-frame. Labelled as 29fps. The reason I thought it wasn't (Other than the fact that I forgot that part) was that it was blurry when I slowed it down. Apparently I had the shutter too low.

So let me give a better question: Is there any way to manually change the fps (To other than the ones it has)? I'm assuming there is not unless I hack it.

Well I'm trying to accomplish remotely respectable slow motion. Which seems to be possible though 60i, the right shutter speed and twixtor or other methods. I know I'll be limited with how slow and how good it will look, but it will give me what I want.

As for wanting more frame rates, I remember being able to change the frame rates on crappy little digital camera a while back. The footage wasn't good, but I remember getting some neat changes in the footage. Of course I don't need to, but having the freedom to change it to what frame rate I want (With reasonable control) would be nice.

For slomo 60p at 720 res is what most use. You'd think there'd be something on the menu that says 60fps at 720p wouldn't you? Well you'd be wrong. You need the secret decoder ring to figure it out.
GH2 has the world's worst manual and menus.

recording in 720x1080 @ 60 progressive frames is easy, but only half of the process. The other half is to scale the image to 1920x1080 (if desired) and slow the playback down in your editor to play back 30 frames a second.

The steps to set up the camera for 720 at 60p is almost exactly the same for 60i.. here ya go..

OK, here goes..
Set Camera wheel thingy to Movie mode
Press menu button
Push the Left arrow until your in the list of menu icons... you might have started here..
Push up arrow until you find the CREATIVE MOVIE menu
Push the Right Arrow to enter the CREATIVE MOVE menu
Highlight "Manual Movie Mode"
Press the Display button
If you SWITCH to this mode, It will say "i MANUAL MOVIE MODE" Manual change the aperture and shutter speed. If you get this menu press menu to go back to the preview .. press menu again and get back into the list of menu icons.
up arrow to find the "MOTION PICTURE" menu enter it by pressing right arrow
Down arrow until you fit the REC MODE menu
Right arrow to enter the REC MODE sub menu

CHose AVCHD(720p)

Press SET button

This should put you back into the MOTION PICTURE menu.
Down arrow to REC QUALITY
Right arrow to enter REC QUALITY sub menu
Highlight "SH"
Press SET button

WOHO! You are now in SH mode.. (720 at 60 P frames a second)

Oh, to avoid the blurry motion shoot with as HIGH a shutter speed as you can!

Last edited:
Thanks wheatgrinder. I was messing around with it today and it came out pretty good on some shots. I think with some more tweaking I should be able to get it to do what I want.

Cool.. You inspired me to look for some twixtor alternatives (that program is too expensive!) The AE built in TIME WARP effect gets pretty close. It doesn't deal with frame blur very well, or at least Iv not tweaked it right to do so, but its pretty good...

Yeah. I don't have twixtor yet, but with some quick surface googling it seems that's all there is really. I have used timewarp and if ALL of the elements are correct it does a pretty good job at times, although not as good as twixtor. So if you find a program, post here and let me know! I'd love to see some alternatives.

I am a very big fan of slow motion setting a mood. I know it is very over used today, and borderline cliched, but I still think it has some artistic merit left in it. I don't plan to do any "ramping" (300 style fast-slow-fast), but more of sections of scenes being slower than normal. I'm going to be filming a short for a local youth-group at a local church. The person that contacted me wants it to get people thinking. It only has a few people and is very short, but the message is being conveyed through just a couple actions. I plant to set the entire piece to a slightly slower-than-normal pace, paired with a certain song I've found. Which together, I think will make a very nice looking piece.

oh, then 60p slow mo will be more then enough for your needs.. 60 p is really clean, just set a higher shutter speed to reduce the blur till you like it. Its a real easy experiment, you have the camera you should test it out now.

Back