tv Getting SD to look good on HDTV Big Screens

I was just thinking of how much better SD looks on the old Tube tvs versus these new big screen HDTVs. I think on a old Tube TV the SD looks almost as good as blueray. In some regards I think I like the look of the SD DVDs on my old Tube tv better. The new Blueray looks good but shows more flaws. Blueray looks best on HDTVs.

One thing that really bugs me about these new HDTVs especially the widescreen big sceens is that broadcast tv never fits it right. The screen seems to always stretch the picture to make it fit the screen. This makes SD on a HDTV look even worse. I found SD looks best when it is displayed in the 4:3 native on the HDTV and not streched to fit. The issue then is the area on the side that is not filled up on the screen and that bugs me to. I starting thinking the main problem with these new tvs is that they are widescreen and not full screen. I think the picture quality of boradcast tv would be better if everyone still had mostly Full Screen TVs versus Widescreen. But I do got to admit I like the widscreen look when it is done right.

One thing that really bugs me is that my old DVDs don't look as good on the new HDTV as they did on my old tube tv. My thought is that SD should look just as good but it does not on these new HDTVs. Even with the DVD upconvert to 1080p is does not look as good to me. I think a 27" Tube tv with the old DVDs looks better than a 60 inch widescreen HDTV with a SD DVD playing on a upconvert DVD player.

Now another debate is if blueray really looks better than old SD on Tube TV. I noticed that on blueray that not only can you see too much detail and imperfections in actors skin but camera movements don't seem natural at times. I am not sure why the camera movements seem weird at times on blueray I think maybe it is a loading issue of the data in the blueray payer. But I am not sure. Maybe it is just me that it seem kinda strange at times.

Summary, I like the Big Screen HDTVs with a Bluray player movies. But when watching broadcast tv I like the old tube tv better. I also like SD DVD movies better on the old tube tv.

Here is a link to an article I read that goes over this topic.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/hdtv/aspect-ratio.htm

Last edited:
I am surprised that I can see grain in the Bluray discs. I thought that blue ray would look perfect. Looks like they need to work on getting rid of the film grain somehow. It bugs me that you get blueray thinking it will look great but then you notice things that bug you like film grain.

The higher resolution of the HDTVs make all the old SD DVDs look almost blurry. If you have a new DVD / VCR dual recorder and hook it to your HDTV through the HDMI connection, the resolution will look better. I wached a commercial on a HDTV where an add has some wonder drug to make elderly people look younger. The HDTV revealed the image was actually blurry in the ad to make it appear the wonder drug make edlerly people look younger by removing their wrinkles with a distorted image.

An older tv with a crt would never be able to show that.

I have noticed that HDV looks truly great on a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TV. On an HDTV, compared to Blu Ray, it's not as sharp, not as detailed and the colors aren't popping as well as the RED footage or 35mm film does on the 1080P.

Of course, the CRT's are not nearly as detailed or sharp an image either.

Film grain is what makes film, well film. With my trusty HD-DVD of EXCALIBUR, some of the scenes and shots look really truly awful because of the grain, or even grain structure not matching shot to shot. Same thing with THE ROAD WARRIOR (for the night shots only, the daytime stuff is flawless).

Film stocks before Kodak's VISION series was a lot grainier for low light than they are today. VISION 3 stocks look sharp enough to be video (ah, the irony).

Back