Getting ready for sex scenes without nudity

Hi, my new film is going to contain several sex scenes between a man and a woman. The scenes will be blocked and shot in a way that nudity will not be seen. Just like we've all seen on shows like The Shield or Breaking Bad, where actors appear naked and the scenes seem real, but no nudity is seen.

My question is, how do you dress the actors on set? Do actors wear something special to cover their private regions, that is flesh colored or smaller, so that it can allow more angles ,rather than the actor wearing underwear or a bra?

Any thoughts from people that have shot sex scenes that contain zero nudity, and what the actors wore during the scenes would be very helpful, thanks.

This is all very neat, thanks for making me aware of merkins. I can't find any retailers though. I thought I was good at searching but I can't find any through third party sites or even an official site? Can someone help me if they know any sites that are reputable that sell them for both men and women?

yeah and the key is to shoot it from different angles.. get tons of coverage so when you cut the moment it shows u got another angle.. get close ups, side shots, master shots, medium shots.. point of view shots.. coverage coverage coverage :) good luck with ur shoot :)

You can also get full body skin coloured suits, though they are used much less - the major use I have heard of it being used is Dakota Fanning in Hounddog.

It really depends on your shots, you might be able to get away with skin coloured underwear, for example if you use a strapless bra and seamless underwear, but it depends on the shots you're going for and the dynamic range of your camera and how much of the little details it's goingto see.

Were I shooting spontaneous sex, I'd likely keep the clothes on.

No, you read that right.
Dress up, belt open, pants half-way down the butt, underwear pulled to the side, up against a wall.
Think outside the box - you want steamy. Hot.

For couples, she'll go to the toilet, he'll get naked, wait for her to return... it's all kind of meh.

Should you be lucky enough to work with an experienced, professional DoP and Wardrobe, they'll make pretty much every scene look good (and you, the director, will get all the credit).

Yeah you can use the stuff mentioned above. Or, if your actors are comfortable, they can be naked on set and you just choose your angles so nothing is seen on camera.

If you want them covered up, you do the same thing you do with anything else. Frame the shot, see what's in it and what isn't, and then remove the bits you can see, leaving the bits you can't see on.

They make duct tape in many colors now. Leave the camera running when removing and you have made a horror film at the same time as your current project.

Um... I would never want to put duct tape on my skin, let along on my nipples.

Be kind to your actors and get something that is made to go on skin, something that lets it breath and won't tear your flesh off when you remove it.

Thanks for all this advice. I've been watching a lot of sex scenes in films that didn't show any nudity. Lots of over the shoulder shots, tight shots, angled where the sheets are covering up nudity, yet the actors still appear nude. This with the other things mentioned, seems like it'll work well, and the actors are comfortable with it. Thanks for all this help, really appreciate it.

Check out the indiegogo page for the film, and please donate if you have the ability!
http://www.indiegogo.com/MyFace

Back