• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Getting motivated to write

Okay so I have this plot of what I want to write about. The thing is I can't get motivated to write. I don't know what to do! I wanna write this thing but I come home from work and tell myself I am going to write but go right to the TV. What do you guys do to get motivated?

Don't go home. I do most of my writing at a friends house where the only distraction is when I ask him his opinion on a character or scene I am writing. Barring that go to the library, find the best chair you can and don't leave til you are done. You could even be cliche and go to Starbucks although they are usually too crowded for my liking.

Also I've found that I write a lot more if use a writing pad instead of my laptop or computer. It's a lot easier to take quick notes or scratch out dialogue and usually fills up fast. But that's just me.

If you only have a home computer that you use to write I would suggest throwing your TV out the window or turning it off. But I've written some good scenes and dialogue while watching Seinfeld so maybe just try a bunch of things and see what works.

Writer's block happens to all of us, but when inspiration doesn't come naturally after a while, then it's time to look to other writings for inspiration. The vast majority of the source material I draw from comes from either video games, books, or other films. I find titles that match the story I want, whether it be a genre, a setting, a conflict, etc. So if I want to do a post-apocalyptic story I go find all the best post-apocalyptic films, books, and games that I can get my hands on and I soak in it like a hot tub filled with ideas.

Keep in mind that inspiration can often times come out of nowhere and from the strangest, smallest sources. Just keep your eyes open. If you find yourself always going to the TV, then I would also advise making a radical change to the environment in which you write. Try writing it at a park or some other place that you don't normally frequent.

You can't start doing something new without changing things. If your habit is to come home and sit in front of the TV, you need to change that. I got my TV disconnected. Now, I still have to keep myself away from NetFlix and YouTube/Vimeo, but it's a bit easier.

Lando2 also suggests some good ways, go somewhere that you can't watch TV. Summer's here finally, head to the park. Jump on a bus, use the people you see for character inspiration. The library, coffee shops, patios.

Like Lando2, I always tend to have a real notepad and paper, just seems more organic to be able to scribble something anywhere I want on the page.

It won't be easy, and you won't find any magic bullet. If you really want to do something, you just have to get off your butt and do it. It's that simple.

CraigL

I have to disagree with everyone who says to wait and don't force it. The parts of your brain responsible for writing are like muscles and they need to be exercised. If you don't have the will-power to sit down and write, then you can't call yourself a writer.

You either do or you do not. There is no try.

I distinguish between inspiration and motivation. I always keep a notebook with me. And when an idea for a particular script I'm working on or thinking about strikes me, I dash a note about it. Inspiration is the part you can't force. Now it doesn't mean that the idea will make it into the script, but sometimes re-reading it later inspires other thoughts.

For motivation, you need to set aside a block of time. It may mean eating at the table with your laptop open or sitting on the porch for 30-45 minutes each day. It needs to be away from audio (radio) and visual (television) distractions. I understand how physical and/or mental exhaustion can zap motivation. What I remind myself is that I can write at least 1-2 pages of a script (about one scene) in an hour. If I do more, that's awesome but I commit to at least one page. If you do that, you will clear a short (20-30 pages) in a month's time. But if you do this routinely, something kicks in and you actually write four or more pages in a sitting. Some days, you forget about TV. And if you truly are drained, at least commit to reading your inspiration notebook and adding to it. Sometimes I'll take that time to flesh out a character's backstory or description. Doing research (wiki, youtube, internet search engines, etc.) can count for my inspiration.

Sometimes, in my script drafts, I will paste in notes so it's right in my script for ready review. Could be backstory or character descriptions. Obviously when you finish writing the script, you remove it but it keeps it available for review when I'm writing. For me, the script draft is a flexible storage document that I build on. Once I'm ready to share it, I clean it up to meet professional standards.

Professional writing requires discipline. Freelance writing can be equally demanding. If you are writing for your own production, it often helps to set basic goals. While others may argue I'm too lenient with just 30-45 minutes or 1-2 pages per day, I've found they are doable and realistic for many writers who struggle with multiple commitments (job, family, etc.).

Post it where you can see it:
Code:
-- Everyday an hour before my TV show or during dinner, 
       I'll write 1-2 pages on my script.
                       OR
-- If I really can't write, I will re-read my inspiration notebook 
       and perhaps add a bit to a character, scene, location.
                       OR
-- I will cut-n-paste interesting ideas I find into my draft script
       to be incorporated later.
As long as you commit to some action, you continue to move forward. Motivation comes from the Latin motivus meaning "moving". Good luck!

If you have one draft complete and you are using Final Draft or Movie Magic Screen Writer, have the computer read back the script. Nothing gets me motivated to jump in and edit more than hearing the computer read back a typo. Also, hearing dialogue helps to edit it better.

Think of the script as a film and analyze it to see if a viewer can understand what is going on. I just started adding in subtitles because even though the script describes where a scene is taking place, a viewer won't know one country from another on an alien planet without a subtitle of the location in the beginning of a scene.

Clarity is important for writer, reader, and later the film viewers. People will get bored fast if they are lost with what is going on.

Some times, you can start a script if your characters sheets are developed enough to open your script by writing an introduction to your lead(s).

Another prep for writing is creating a floor plan or map of the location of your story to help keep tabs of where the characters may go in your story.

When I wrote a science fiction screenplay where the location was similar to a Native American Reservation, I had to draw a map to keep tabs of where everything was located in the story for the script to be consistent.

Also, surround yourself with visual aids for your story when you write.

For me, I've found that writing is much the same as animation. It's impossible unless I'm in 'the zone'. So, I spend spend very little time writing, and a lot of time preparing (waiting). That means, I research, take notes, draw storyboards and read other scripts. As soon as I feel 'it', I literally drop whatever I'm doing, and I write.

We spent months outlining both of our screenplays, and then hammered out the first draft in less than a week. Since we had such a solid outline in place, the writing part was purely creative and fun.

Oh ya, you need to show a little fortitude and unplug the TV.

Last edited:
Keep a notebook with you. Not a laptop, a notebook. Write down short ideas and premises for the film or script you want to write. Write short character descriptions, or plot ideas. Just get a general idea of what you're thinking about on paper.

Then, unless you feel extremely motivated, I say walk away from it for a few days. Enjoy yourself. Watch television, spend time with family, do whatever makes you happy. Once your brain and "writer's block" has hopefully cleared, pick up the notebook again and begin to write. You'd be surprised how excited you get once you see the ideas you wrote down in your notebook. The goal is to make you more excited and enthusiastic about writing and getting involved in what you are writing. That way, you won't feel the need for a distraction.

Good luck,

C.

Once your brain and "writer's block" has hopefully cleared, pick up the notebook again and begin to write.
I think writer's block is a myth perpetuated by writers who don't have the ability or will-power to finish something that they started.

Sit down and write. It doesn't have to be good. The most important thing is that you actually sit down and do it. Good can come later. I might write something in one draft and feel it's spot-on. But often I'll write a dozen pages that I'll throw out later. If you're daunted by writing a dozen pages that you'll never use, then writing isn't for you. I can write a dozen pages in an hour or so simply because I've learned that 3,000 words is meaningless and not an accomplishment as a writer.

Not only that but writing things out is part and parcel of the process. You come up with ideas as you're writing and merge, dismiss, morph, squeeze, eliminate and dissect as you go along. Writing the 'perfect' story on the first go, or whenever you sit down to write that one page per month just isn't going to happen. Get used to tossing material and writing stuff you'll never use.

It's like with character development. Ninety-percent of character development will never make it into your story, even if it's a novel. And that's how it should be. Characters are like ice-bergs. But without that depth, characters can ring false or seem stereotypical. The process of writing all that 'useless' material works in the same way. It's useful even if it never ends up being used.

Back