• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Getting a copyrighted song

I am making my first film with the hope of putting it into festivals. There are 2 songs I really like for a few scenes. They are look after you by the fray and the good life by one republic. Im not really sure how it works but I was thinking of writing a letter to the owner of the music just saying "Im a broke college kid, can i use this song in my movie etc etc" I have no idea who I ask or if that would even work. Does anybody know how to go about this

Thanks

I'm subscribing your question. Got to know it too.

In my case, i need the right to use a very popular song. But I have no idea on how to buy this song, and even who is the owner actually.

The bands will never even be aware of it, it will all be handled by their publishers and their attorneys, so forget about it, you can't afford it. And they won't care that you're "a broke college kid."

Look around for music from an indie band that is similar to what you want. You're an indie type, support other indie types!!!

The bands will never even be aware of it, it will all be handled by their publishers and their attorneys, so forget about it, you can't afford it. And they won't care that you're "a broke college kid."

Look around for music from an indie band that is similar to what you want. You're an indie type, support other indie types!!!

Alcove Audio, and when you got money to buy this, but can't contact the owner. Have any tip? And also, what will define the price of the song?

Real-world example:

I did a promo for the local Special Olympics chapter. They wanted to use part of a well-known song that had been a hit 10 years earlier. Tiny production, small budget, strictly local exposure, non-profit, and one of the noblest charities in the world. Still got charged $350. And that was pre-internet days.

Good luck.

Ballpark figure: A few seconds of a popular song but not a major artist, $50,000. The Rolling Stones? $500,000 and up for a few seconds.

If you're asking in here, it means you can't afford it because if you HAD the money, your entertainment lawyer would know exactly who to contact.

Ballpark figure: A few seconds of a popular song but not a major artist, $50,000. The Rolling Stones? $500,000 and up for a few seconds.

If you're asking in here, it means you can't afford it because if you HAD the money, your entertainment lawyer would know exactly who to contact.

GuerillaAngel, this is the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c49klxPex-k

Do you think it costs like $50,000 for a few seconds in a short film?

what will define the price of the song?

The song is ranked No. 342 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time"; it's iconic. The cost will be astronomical. As the cliché goes, if you gotta ask you can't afford it.

you got money to buy this, but can't contact the owner. Have any tip?

GuerrillaAngel said it already, if you've got the money your music supervisor and entertainment attorney handle everything.

Just for fun... I've performed the song hundreds of times and heard it performed by others hundreds more - including Dion himself a number of times (we double billed with him).

The song is ranked No. 342 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time"; it's iconic. The cost will be astronomical. As the cliché goes, if you gotta ask you can't afford it.

Just for fun... I've performed the song hundreds of times and heard it performed by others hundreds more - including Dion himself a number of times (we double billed with him).

Thanks. But what you call astronomical? How much it would be?

Interesting thoughts some people have.... It is not impossible to get known songs in a movie *short* or *Low Budget*

To anyone looking to get a known artist in your film...

#1 Have a lawyer (Just calling or writing in is a long shot)
#2 Have a script/movie ready so the company can read/watch it
#3 Dont bring up $$ until they ask!
#4 Hope for the best

References:

Ghost Game - Contacted "Coors" to allow there beer in our film
Finding Hope Now - Got two major songs for the film

Thanks. But what you call astronomical? How much it would be?

The director of one of the features I worked on wanted to use "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World; a fairly big hit, but not one of the top 500. The "discussion" price was $60k - and that was just for festival use (about the budget for the entire feature). If the film picked up distribution they wanted more (I don't know how much). For indie types I think five figures counts as astronomical.

If you really want to know have your attorney get in touch with publisher of "Run Around Sue."

Last edited:
"For a small production, even getting a one-hit wonder's songs can be taxing, but it is not out of the question. It is just a matter of contacting the right people and trying to get on the same wavelength. If a film is really low-budget, there is probably a reason, and you probably have very little money to spend on acquiring music rights, but a little money can go a long way if you have a lot of grit and some decent bargaining skills.

To secure the rights to a particular recording of a song, a filmmaker must have both a Master license and a Synchronization license. A master license is obtained through the record label, or whoever owns the copyright to the recording you want to use. It will usually be the record label, though some very wealthy artists, such as Madonna, have the money to buy back their catalog, and therefore own all of their own material.

A synchronization license is obtained through the song publisher, or the copyright owner of the actual musical composition. It will usually be a publishing company that owns the composition copyright, but again, in certain instances, an artist may have all rights to their songs. If you want to use a master recording, a recording from an artist on a label, you must get both of these licenses for the usage to be legal.

If you just want to use the song's composition, and will have the music and lyrics re-recorded for your production, you will need only the rights to the song itself, which means you need only the synchronization license. Don't just assume it will be cheaper to re-record the song though. Depending on the deal you get with the label, and factoring in the cost of studio rental and payment of musicians, you may be better off just shelling out the dough for the master recording.

The lower on the totem pole a person is, the more likely you will be able to get their music at a reasonable cost.

What I did was contact both the record label and the music publisher for the song that I wanted and I asked for free festival rights. Both of them responded to me rather quickly. The music publisher granted me the rights to use the song in the movie in festival for free with a MFN, or Most Favored Nations, clause. The MFN clause means that if someone else gets paid then they have to get paid the same amount. The record label told me that I could have the rights from them for $350. If I accepted this, then I would also have to pay the publisher $350 due to the MFN clause. That was way more that we could afford, so I counter offered to the record label with an offer of $75. A few weeks later I heard back from them and they had accepted my offer! I now had to pay the publisher $75 as well, but I got the full rights for only $150!"

----------------------------------

another (much easier) option for getting the rights for using artist's music is going to a site like http://magnatune.com/info/licensing

They have a giant catalogue of all types of music and indie bands and artists who have submitted their recordings just for this purpose. Once you find a song you like, you can set parameters for the type of project and your budget and they will quote how much you'll have to pay.

Last edited:
Just thought I would clarify a point from the original question "getting a copyrighted song"........just to note: All music found on the internet, be it "Free music" or "pay to download music" or whatever, is copyrighted. The moment something is recorded it is automatically copyrighted. Even music that is no longer offered for commercial sale ie: out of print, it is still copyrighted. You may get the rights to use a song for free, but that doesn't mean the song is not copyrighted.
Even if your great Auntie Agnes and your second-removed-cousin-in-law Poly Anna write a song and record it on a mini disc and put it on Sound Cloud, it is copyrighted, and in theory you would need to get permission before you could use it in your film.

I found this book very helpful: "All You Need to Know About the Music Business," by Donald S. Passman. I originally read it to help my daughter with her music career. It's written by a music lawyer and covers legal issues in every aspect of the music business. It has seven chapters on music in movies. It's all about what rights you need and how to go about obtaining them. The writing is detailed and clear, and I recommend it wholeheartedly. (I have no connection to the author. :) )

I found this book very helpful: "All You Need to Know About the Music Business," by Donald S. Passman. I originally read it to help my daughter with her music career. It's written by a music lawyer and covers legal issues in every aspect of the music business. It has seven chapters on music in movies. It's all about what rights you need and how to go about obtaining them. The writing is detailed and clear, and I recommend it wholeheartedly. (I have no connection to the author. :) )

:yes:

It's an excellent book.

But on the original topic, trying to get a hit song into a low/no budget indie or student film would be similar to trying to get an A-list actor to star in it.

Take Alcove's advice, and see if you can find an indie band whose music you like. Pretty much any aspiring group or artist will be thrilled at the idea of their music being featured in a film.

Who's the artist? If they're someone massive then forget about it, but if they're small or somewhat independent then email them directly. For my current project I contacted a band who own their own label and they've let me have the rights to a song for £125. It all depends on what sort of band you ask. Just dont go after like Coldplay or Oasis

Back