Gear for the Sony NEXVG20

Hey everybody,

Been lurking here for a while and I'm finally going to start shooting my feature in Mid May. I have the VG20 as well as a Rode Mic and a Sony 18-55mm lens.

I'm really curious as to what else would be ideal to shoot a feature? I'm looking for recommendations on lenses to shoot inside a car as well as a nice affordable wide angle lens.

I'm also looking to complete my audio setup and possibly get a cheap but reliable steadicam.

Cheers to any help

Go Leafs

Where is the feature going to be shown?
Youtube/Vimeo?
Film festival submissions?
DVD or VOD sales?

Largely this will determine an appropriate equipment budget/scale.

Hey everybody,

Been lurking here for a while and I'm finally going to start shooting my feature in Mid May. I have the VG20 as well as a Rode Mic and a Sony 18-55mm lens.

I'm really curious as to what else would be ideal to shoot a feature? I'm looking for recommendations on lenses to shoot inside a car as well as a nice affordable wide angle lens.

I'm also looking to complete my audio setup and possibly get a cheap but reliable steadicam.

Cheers to any help

Go Leafs

I shoot on the VG10 and it's a great camera so the VG20 should be even better. The footage with stock lens is almost identical to a 5D Mk2 with some nice, not too expensive primes. We shot this on a VG10 and 5D Mk2 - apologies about the sh!tty sound...

https://vimeo.com/49122325
password cb1300

We can't tell the difference between the 5D Mk2 and the VG10!

My sound setup today is a Tascam DR100, Promix 3 and ECM 674. In addition, we have an NTG2, boom, dead kitty etc... I think of a Tascam DR100 and a budget mic (e.g. NTG1) as a minimum.

Merlin Steadicam works really well. The ubiquituous Manfrotto fluid head and vid tripod, monopod etc... are pretty handy.

As for affordable wide angles - look at the 16mm pancake. It's kinda cute and could do the job.

Last edited:
Shoot, forgot to add that the 30mm Sigma prime is a 'must have.' It is the most popular prime for the VG and for some great reasons. It is absolutely the first lens you should buy.

Incidentally, here is some greenscreen footage shot with the VG10 with the stock lens. Unfortunately, the green screen had a couple of holes in it (aaarghhhh!) but you can judge for yourself if the VG10 with a stock lens is OK for greenscreening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vED1IAxj9Ug&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Back