Game of Thrones: Real Cello Would Have Been Better

As It Happens: Canadian musician takes on the Game of Thrones fake cello theme

You can just click on the YouTube videos to get the gist of it. But I recommend clicking on the "Listen" button and listening to the interview first. Anyway, the comparison is included in the interview.

I see opinions vary. Looks like some actually prefer the "fake" cello. But I think the real thing is clearly better. Well, maybe not necessarily the version she commissioned, though the cellist did a fine job . But they could have tweaked and refined a real cello performance for the final recording. Or, like she says, maybe even hired a whole orchestra for 30K?

I suppose, when they were putting the theme song together, they had no idea whether the show would be a hit or a flop. Maybe that's incentive enough to go the cheapest, most convenient route.

Anyway, it's pretty fun.

Your opinion? Does Hollywood drop the ball by taking the easy route and using the synthesized instrument sounds? Or, do you think, why bother, it's good enough...or it even sounds better?

As It Happens: Canadian musician takes on the Game of Thrones fake cello theme

You can just click on the YouTube videos to get the gist of it. But I recommend clicking on the "Listen" button and listening to the interview first. Anyway, the comparison is included in the interview.

I see opinions vary. Looks like some actually prefer the "fake" cello. But I think the real thing is clearly better. Well, maybe not necessarily the version she commissioned, though the cellist did a fine job . But they could have tweaked and refined a real cello performance for the final recording. Or, like she says, maybe even hired a whole orchestra for 30K?

I suppose, when they were putting the theme song together, they had no idea whether the show would be a hit or a flop. Maybe that's incentive enough to go the cheapest, most convenient route.

Anyway, it's pretty fun.

Your opinion? Does Hollywood drop the ball by taking the easy route and using the synthesized instrument sounds? Or, do you think, why bother, it's good enough...or it even sounds better?

It's real cello in the original track.

However the discussion is still a valid one, because very often sample based music is used for budget reasons. Personally I think it cheapens the picture to use "artificially produced" music, while the organic sound of live instruments deepens the perception of the film.

Even if you have one or two live instruments in there and even mixed with computer based music, it makes a huge difference, one is music the other are just notes.

Looks like some actually prefer the "fake" cello. But I think the real thing is clearly better. Well, maybe not necessarily the version she commissioned, though the cellist did a fine job . But they could have tweaked and refined a real cello performance for the final recording. Or, like she says, maybe even hired a whole orchestra for 30K?

I certainly think a real cello could sound better, but I don't think the version she had made supports her argument very well - other than the increased expressiveness of his performance I think it sounds a lot weaker overall.

And I don't think you can take the music out of context with the visuals of the opening sequence - it's a mechanized simulation of the world of the show. I'd say a slightly mechanized performance of the music is entirely appropriate in that context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTletpyuEE

The one linked to in the top comment on that site is quite a bit better than the version on that site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydRAb9cwHnA

But the actual opening credits music was the Czech orchestra, was it not?

Back