Full Short Film with Only GoPro Cameras

I've been planning on shooting my first short film completely with GoPro Camera's. I have a couple different scripts one with some high octane sports scenes but then some more stable dialog. The second film is a science fiction film with rouges, witches and hunters. I just don't know if i should be shooing with less standardized equipment.
Any import or thoughts would be great.

You can shoot on anything. You just have to work out if it will suit what you're trying to shoot.

If your Sci-Fi film has green screen, you may run into some issues. As with most parts of filming, it depends. Will your limitations on the DOF hinder you? What about the low(ish) bitrate? What about your limitations of lens choices.

APE wants me to say, what are you going to do for sound as sound is half the experience (Right APE?).

Note: I haven't played around with GoPros that much so listen to the other replies too ;)

Last edited:
You can shoot on anything. You just have to work out if it will suit what you're trying to shoot.

If your Sci-Fi film has green screen, you may run into some issues. As with most parts of filming, it depends. Will your limitations on the DOF hinder you? What about the low(ish) bitrate? What about your limitations of lens choices.

APE wants me to say, what are you going to do for sound as sound is half the experience (Right APE?).

Note: I haven't played around with GoPros that much so listen to the other replies too ;)

Thanks!
I'm not using a green screen i'm going for natural feel with heavy wardrobe and very selective locations. How would the low bitrate effect the end result? Also not worried about the limitations of the lenses. For sound i'm going with a Zoom H4n, and possibly with a Rode NTG - 3. I want to make a soundscape separate of my ambient noises for each location then selectively cut in my story shots into each location with the ambient sounds underneath. (If that made sense! :))

This is my opinion, but I think the gopros look aweful. It's just there is way too much barrel distortion whenever I see people use them. Unless it can be corrected, and they don't? But I think it looks less professional than an iphone, cause of the lens, but that's just my opinion.

This is my opinion, but I think the gopros look aweful. It's just there is way too much barrel distortion whenever I see people use them. Unless it can be corrected, and they don't? But I think it looks less professional than an iphone, cause of the lens, but that's just my opinion.

I've heard of after effects and GoPro studio being able to fix the effects of the massive fish eye. I've also been thinking of shooting with a iPhone but GoPro still looks better and has more features.

How would the low bitrate effect the end result?

Lower bitrate tends to = lower picture quality. Lower quality can limit what you can do with the footage. There is a saying in post production. Garbage in = Garbage out. Doesn't mean it will be the case in this.

Unless it can be corrected

Depends on how you shoot, what you do etc, to whether it can or cannot be corrected (assuming you mean color correction). Sometimes the footage can be shot wrong where you're in damage prevention more instead of focusing on creating the right mood for your film.

But I think it looks less professional than an iphone, cause of the lens, but that's just my opinion.

I understand that GoPro footage made it into the first Hobbit film. I also heard that iPhone footage made it into Wolf of Wall Street. People noted how they didn't like the GoPro Footage, though I haven't heard the same outcry with Wolf of Wall Street. I don't know if either story is true, so you'll have to do your own research and make your own decisions.

after effects and GoPro studio being able to fix the effects of the massive fish eye

Most editing programs can fix the issue with the GoPro fishe eye. It adds a little bit of work, but it's not that much of an issue.

Unless it can be corrected, and they don't?

H44, *YOU* might not be able to correct, though others with a half a clue can.

I want to make a soundscape separate of my ambient noises for each location then selectively cut in my story shots into each location with the ambient sounds underneath. (If that made sense!)

It made lots of sense and is smart to do. Good idea.

Does anyone know of any non-action films/short films shot completely on gopro? I would love to see it. I remember gopro sponsored some of the 48 hour film festivals and loaned them out to use, but I don't think anyone used the gopro only. We used one for a drone shot which worked well, but there was never a discussion to use it for anything else.

okay, it can be corrected then. I wouldn't know since I have not used one.

No shit it can be corrected. There's a general rule here. If H44 says its impossible, not only can it be done, it's probably quite a simple task to do it. If you say you should do it that way, the majority of the time, people are quite safe doing the exact opposite of what you suggest. Occasionally you come up with some nugget of wisdom that is miles beyond your comprehension.... I wish you'd do it more often.

If you had spent 20 seconds on google you would have known this instead of doing your usual trick of spreading wildly incorrect information as gospel.

But a lot of people who shoot on gopros do not bother, and leave the fisheye look in.

And so many times you screw up. Does that mean it's the correct thing to do? Of course not. The majority of people who are uploading video to youtube aren't filmmakers. They're consumers who've bought a cheap camera, shot some video and uploaded it.

Just because the majority of videos released on Youtube don't record sound using a dual recording system. Does this mean that the masses have found a better way to do it? Of course not. H44, I'd love it if you occasionally spend a little time thinking, instead of assuming what the majority of non-professionals do is automatically right.

That's true, I shouldn't say the camera does not have a other options, when I have not used it. I was just going by other short films, which I should not tell I checked it out myself. My friend has one and I checked it out for a bit. However, the camera, has no zoom on the lens, so how does it correct the distortion? At least he says it has no zoom. Does it correct in in the sensor somehow?

Back