From no-budget to low-budget

As i'm slowly approaching finish line with my first feature "The Tramp", I'm eye balling my next project.
My current project budget was $600 but I want to have much bigger one for the one, somewhere from 80,000 to 100,000.
So, lets play a wishing game and pretend that I found 100k for my next movie (i know, so naive)

What do I do next? Do I need to hire an experienced producer, who can grab me by my hand and show me how to hire cast/crew and go over the contracts, unions etc? How can I make a leap from a no-budget to a low-budget territory and not break my legs by end up blowing 100k on printer paper and ink? :lol:

Where do I find these producers? Would the "hiring" process be for the producer?

It always starts with the script.

From there, yes, your best bet is a producer, but a real "hands-on" working partner who will handle the "business" side while you take on the "art" side.

Finding one? Beats the hell out of me! This is when you need to be networked, not so much deep as broad. It usually ends up being your sisters, ex-boyfriends, third cousins, fourth cousin five times removed, who knows a gal, who knows a guy. You have to make whoever that is fall in love with the script and your vision of it.

Look for real sympatico in addition knowledge and "smarts;" you're going to be working VERY closely for a long time.

Find a Producer with some sort of track record and pitch them the script. In fact, you don't even need a budget to do that, part of the Producer's job is to find funding. If they like your script enough to come on board, they'll help you find funding, whether it be via their investor contacts, or via their 'name' contacts, and helping you attach a name to encourage extra funding.

As i'm slowly approaching finish line with my first feature "The Tramp", I'm eye balling my next project.
My current project budget was $600 but I want to have much bigger one for the one, somewhere from 80,000 to 100,000.
So, lets play a wishing game and pretend that I found 100k for my next movie (i know, so naive)

What do I do next? Do I need to hire an experienced producer, who can grab me by my hand and show me how to hire cast/crew and go over the contracts, unions etc? How can I make a leap from a no-budget to a low-budget territory and not break my legs by end up blowing 100k on printer paper and ink? :lol:

Where do I find these producers? Would the "hiring" process be for the producer?

I do this kind of producing, so here is how I would look them in your area, if I were you. Since you are in Seattle, look up your film commission, motion picture alliance or film society. Research the members by looking up their film history. Request references.

Go to resources such as Mandy.com and productionhub.com and put in your state's information. 100K is a big budget to hire just anyone so always ask for references.

Ask these producers if you can see samples of their script breakdowns and production schedules. They should show you something that looks like this.

Do not hire people off of meetup groups or craigslist. 10,000 is one thing, but 100K you need to take seriously. Investors will expect to see how funds were spent.

As for "how" to hire, the question is, are you looking for the producer to raise the funds or will you have the funds already raised? If you have raised the funds, the producers will come to you. If you expect them to raise the funds, then don't expect them to be lining up.

Best of luck

There was an article in the newspaper recently of some rich young guy who deals within stock exchange who spent over £100,000 in one night at the bar I believe? Wish someone like that would invest!

Back