From Dusk 'till Dawn

I was remembering the other day seeing From Dusk 'till Dawn on TV about 10 years ago, and being so shocked when it turned form camper-trip into vampire-fest. I'd never seen a film with a structure like it, I mean a genre film should be a genre film from the outset, right?! it was great.

I'm now making a film called KillerWeed, and the screenplay's structure is kind of similar to From Dusk 'till Dawn. It was unintentional, it just worked out that way because the film's set up is quite complex, we wanted the characters to have a backstory before the zombie shit starts, and we're shooting on a low budget so don't have a lot of money to keep up the gore for a whole 2 hrs.

Do people feel this is a cop-out for a zombie film? Would you want it to be 100% zombie from the beginning, or would 45mins of hardcore, awesome zombieness be better than 90mins of mediocre gore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os9f6riceJ0

How did you get permission to use Danny Elfman's BATMAN score for the samples in the soundtrack? That sounds really good.

Lots of cool VideoCopilot material in there, and the cinematography and editing look great.

It's like a P.S.A gone HORRORablly wrong.
It looks like you guys took some real time and effect on it to make it look good. I like that. I would watch it.

In fact if you want me to review the movie for my site let me know. If not no biggie and good luck with the flick.

thanks for the great comments! we got music clearance through contacting The Autobots directly (they're the uk based group who made the track, it's called Apocolypse and was released a couple of years ago in the uk).

@TheBuck - we haven't filmed yet, the trailer above is a concept art/investment trailer, but will be filming late summer this year. It would be great if you could mention the film on your site though, we're trying to drum up publicity as early as possible to help with financing. I'll send you through our press pack which has more info...

some feedback we've been getting from sales agents is that the film might be too british for the US market...would you guys pay to see this, even if had a british cast, or would that put you off? I personally think zombies and stoners is a recipe for success for a US market, but thats just speculation.

Sorry sidliajulia but I need to see way more than just a trailer to talk about it on my site. No need to send me a press kit so soon. When it comes closer to the release date then sure. I'll just keep an eye out for you telling us about it coming out.

would you guys pay to see this, even if had a british cast, or would that put you off? I personally think zombies and stoners is a recipe for success for a US market, but thats just speculation.

It's a perception, and sometimes accurate, that UK movies don't translate well to the U.S. markets. I think that's rubbish. Shaun of the Dead and The Office taught us one great lesson - good stories are universal. Give me David Brent over Michael Scott, although I like them both a lot.

Learn from how SPACED was not overly British, it was pretty much about universal themes.

You're also forgetting Harry Potter...

3 in the top 10 grossing films of all time.

I'm not into zombies nor teenage/druggie movies. Sorry I can't be of much help =/

Last edited:
i live in NC in the USA and i would definitely go see this movie...
i guess im a little biased since zombie/stoner movies are my favorite, but i have many friends who i know would scratch all their plans for the night to pay 10 bucks to go see this

I was remembering the other day seeing From Dusk 'till Dawn on TV about 10 years ago, and being so shocked when it turned form camper-trip into vampire-fest. I'd never seen a film with a structure like it, I mean a genre film should be a genre film from the outset, right?! it was great.

It is always nice to see structure not fitting the norm. This technique was allowed because the writers and directors were already established. It could be a tough sell to a distribution company and/or a producer if you haven't done much in the industry (Hitchcock and Kubrick are a few whom were allowed to follow a story as such). I'm not saying don't try it, because I would welcome it with open arms, but the mountain may be higher when trying to get it into the distributors hands.

looks quality, I think investment trailers like this are a good idea as in this case you have managed to create a lot of personality & style within the minute that it lasts for.
28 days later (according to IMDB) took $10 million on it's opening weekend so that info might be worth passing on to future investors

thanks for the great comments! we got music clearance through contacting The Autobots directly (they're the uk based group who made the track, it's called Apocolypse and was released a couple of years ago in the uk).

But do you need need to get permission/the rights from the original artist?

Back