freelancers

okay.. i know everything is networking. but what if you dont know anyone to network with.. whats the best way to market your skills? I have great experience working on tv series and commercials overseas, but here in the US my network circle is much different..

craiglist is full of low ballers. although i did find couple of producers there who have been giving me regular work..

does anyone have a tip or suggestion on how to land more projects and more work?
should you just open a company and start advertising? where other than craigslist can you search for projects and can others find you..

just curious to see what works for people?

btw if anyone is looking for a video editor or videographer.. here is my demo reel https://vimeo.com/32726238

craiglist is full of low ballers.

I know that some people like craigslist, but there is a reason flakes and scammers flock to that site.

I am also building a network in an unknown (to me) industry.

The way that I am doing it is by contacting advertising and casting agents, production companies, etc. I want to deal with people who do this, not just want to.

Finding indie films on the web is pretty easy, and the crew on most are listed in the credits.

Find out who they are, where they are, and why they do what do what they do.

Most cities have some form of film group either meeting online or in an actual location. The small acting companies also seem to be a pretty good resource.

The booking agents at the theaters are also a resource worth looking into.

Film festivals.

But really, it depends somewhat on what you want to do - a sound designer, for example, is probably going to gain more volunteering at a post sound facility than meeting cinematographers at a film festival.

Back