• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Free online screenwriting software with multiple-writer options.

http://www.plotbot.com/

I had a look last week for online screenwriting software (is it still software if it's online?) since I was at work and wanted to write some stuff. I ran into this free site and it's pretty cool.

You can set it so that people can make comments or changes or both. Could be a good way to share our scripts on here and allow for very specific feedback..

Whad'ya think?

It looks promising. I haven't registered yet to really look at its functionality, but it seems to have a good set of options for most scripts: sluglines, actions, dialogue, characters and transitions, at least from its about page. It definitely seems to offer flexibility in terms of import and export.

I'll give it a look. I'd definitely be curious as to other people's opinions.

I've investigated plotbot and other online "cloud" programs and have not been satisfied with their utility or functionality.
Of course, your user experience may be different. :)

Currently, I keep both an email account and google doc account to compile and compose material away from home that I'll eventually copy and paste to my celtx file when I return home.

If I'm already working on something big and hairy I can C&P the whole content of the celtx file in its current state and simply make a email letter draft, paste it all, work on it there, then re-paste back into the celtx file on my home PC.

It may sound more complicated to explain than to actually do it. :)
It's rather simple, really: Open. Write. Copy. Save. Open. Paste. Save.
A real brain burner. :lol:

I keep a lot of stuff saved as email drafts that'll never be actually sent anywhere.
An online storage file, if you will.
Fruit on the tree I may pluck at will!

Last edited:
It's definitely clunkier than a celtx or final draft, mainly because of the lack of keyboard shortcuts.

But I found it to be pretty straightforward and workable: Select type from dropdown, write, select type from dropdown, write.

@ray, don't you run into formatting issues when you write in google docs? do they have a screenplay setting?

Oh, heavens no. G docs doesn't have such a setting.
I use docs for outlining and an email draft for any actual screenplay writing.

Nah, using an email draft I just know to type action on one to two lines, skip two lines down, enter the character name, drop one line, enter dialog, drop two lines, next character, drop one line dialog, drop two lines, action, so on and so forth.

Example:
Code:
Action action action action.

CHARACTER A
Dialog

CHARACTER B
Reply dialog

Some more action here.

Copy. Paste drops into celtx just fine.
Might have to do a little clean up here and there. No big whup.

Ok, it has me in some kind of limbo, I've apparently made an account, I've even recieved an email detailing my username and page, but every time I access the site (and including using the 'Sign In' option) it asks me to register, and then tells me my details are in use, yet I can't actually log in with them :S

Why not just install Celtx on a flash drive so you can take it with you anywhere you have a computer? When you download Celtx, specify the drive letter for your thumb drive and it installs it for you. When you want to use it, go to "My Computer", double click on your thumb drive, open the "Program Files" folder, double click on Celtx, then double click on the Celtx icon within the folder. You have total access to a full version of Celtx and you can save your Celtx files on your flash drive as well.

My, and I'll hazard a guess Dready's, workplace PCs will not support non-system administrator software.

My local library system also may not, either. Never needed to tote it around when I can just do email drafts.

Thumbdrives and whatnot are non-option options.

Back