Free music for filmmakers

Loud Orange Cat

Pro Member
indiePRO
I thought that subject line would grab your attention.

I recently found a website (that I am NOT affiliated with whatsoever, I'm mentioning this because it's free, legal and very cool) called jamendo.com. This site hosts over 1,000 new (not old titles that's out of copyright) Public Domain and Creative Commons licenced music for everyone, including us filmmakers.

You have the ability to search for music that's free for either personal or commercial productions, or both! I've found some music that only requires attribution to the author that's free to use for commercial purposes.

This is not junk music, some of what I've heard rivals commerical music. There's some good stuff there. Please take a look.

If you have problems with the French, you can use this site for some translation. But I would encourage you to try and get around the site without knowing every word. When I started working at Univision, I always found it extremely rewarding when I would try to figure out what a word meant instead of looking it up.

BTW, great site mrde50.

Poke

Poke said:
If you have problems with the French, you can use this site for some translation. But I would encourage you to try and get around the site without knowing every word. When I started working at Univision, I always found it extremely rewarding when I would try to figure out what a word meant instead of looking it up.

BTW, great site mrde50.

Poke

Actually, He can just click the American flag at the top. It changes the language. But be warned, I found 80% of these albums are franch artist. so Only the captions are in english.

BTW, I dont see anywhere on her where you can use this stuff royalty free. Not only havnt I found any, I cant even save the files in anything other then e3u, which is nothing more then a asx streaming file. I havnt seen how to save them in actual ogg or mp3. Even though the pulldown shows the format, its not for saving.

also, I found this guy (vavrek) music to be pretty good

http://www.jamendo.com/us/artist/vavrek/

Last edited:
King Goldfish said:
BTW, I dont see anywhere on her where you can use this stuff royalty free. Not only havnt I found any, I cant even save the files in anything other then e3u, which is nothing more then a asx streaming file. I havnt seen how to save them in actual ogg or mp3. Even though the pulldown shows the format, its not for saving.
LICENCING: Look at the Creative Commons licence on the page of the music you want to download.

Creative Commons offers 6 standard deeds :

* Attribution (Royalty free by itself)
* Attribution, No Derivative Works
* Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works
* Attribution, Noncommercial
* Attribution, Noncommercial, Share Alike
* Attribution, Share Alike

Attribution (BY) : You must give the original author credit. When licenced by attribution alone, the work is available royalty free for personal and commercial uses.
No Derivative Works (ND) : You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.
Noncommercial (NC) : You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
Share Alike (SA) : If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you must distribute the resulting work only under a license identical to this one.

You can also consult FAQ on the website of Creative Commons : http://creativecommons.org/faq

-----

DOWNLOADING MP3s:

Choose your bandwidth at the top right hand side of the screen, choose your p2p application and click 'download'. Your MP3s are on their way. I usually download an album in 3 to 4 minutes (@ 192k MP3).

-----

A lot of people are confused by Creative Common licencing. Allow me to clear up one misconception that CC removes copyright. It does not. CC complements copyright in allowing artists to put restrictions/freedoms on their copyrighted works. The blanket copyright as the law reads is restrictive and does not allow the artist to control how their work is used. This is where CC comes in. And this is how I licence ALL my work.

L O C, thanks. I will have to check on that. Actually i was gonna PM you. I found an artist who's allowing me to use his music for an indie film. he had no problem with it.

He also sent me 2 CDs for a small donation. Seems like a cool guy. vavrek was the guys name. Andrew Vavrek I believe, out of Seattle.

Nice find! And I guess most of the songs can in fact be downloaded off of the artist own websites, for download in ogg or mp3 formats.

Back