• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Free editing software needed!

Hello, I'm a no-budget filmmaker and only use Windows Movie Maker and Intelli-studio to put footage together. I also use free 30 day trials. Does anyone know of any free editing software I could get for color correction and VFX?

You could do this, it's legal by the way.

Download 30 day free trial of AE or any other program. Once the trial has expired, simply restore your system then download it again.

You should definitely check out the free editing software Wax 2.0 if you want 2D or 3D effects. There's a lot of different plugins and effects you can make and features multitrack editing unlike Windows Movie Maker. I've used it a couple of times for making videos, you'll be able to find some good tutorials online and it's very powerful software considering it's free.

http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

There might be some confusion in regards to the range of things an editing package can do. Editing packages can create very simple 2-dimensional compositing effects (color, keys, slap comps), but that's more or less where it ends.

Blender/Maya/Softimage are for 3D modeling & animation, which fits into the first six/seven steps of the VFX pipeline listed below. I see that Blender comes with a compositor, but I can't speak to it as I'm a Maya & Nuke guy.

Every no-budget filmmaker should familiarize themselves with all the fantastic (free) stuff out there (Blender, Gimp, Celtx ....).

1) Match-move
2) Model
3) Rig
4) Animate
5) Light
6) Render
7)Composite
8) Cut it into the sequence.

Thomas

Last edited:
There might be some confusion in regards to the range of things an editing package can do. Editing packages can create very simple 2-dimensional compositing effects (color, keys, slap comps), but that's more or less where it ends.

Blender/Maya/Softimage are for 3D modeling & animation, which fits into the first six/seven steps of the VFX pipeline listed below. I see that Blender comes with a compositor, but I can't speak to it as I'm a Maya & Nuke guy.

Every no-budget filmmaker should familiarize themselves with all the fantastic (free) stuff out there (Blender, Gimp, Celtx ....).

1) Match-move
2) Model
3) Rig
4) Animate
5) Light
6) Render
7)Composite
8) Cut it into the sequence.

Thomas

Thanks for the help.

You are right, these packages are deep. Tutorials: Start 'em, finish 'em. Take notes.
It's not uncommon for Maya students to wake up screaming the words "Salty the Seal".

Back