Frame or no Frame?

Okay, so I have been told that using frame mode in camera (xl1) can cause a headache later in post.
Is it better to shoot in normal mode, then just deinterlace and drop the frame rate down in post? If so, how do you deinterlace and drop frame rate down in Avid?

I'm shooting in frame mode, getting wonderful footage out of it. If you intend to transfer to film ever, then you'll need to ask the transfer house what they prefer. I hate interlaced footage...and de-interlacing removes information. We are working with so little resolution and contrast to begin with, I personally think it's horrible to remove half of it.

my US$.02

I agree with Knightly. Removing what little video information just for the sake of deinterlacing is not worth it.

For example, my camera shoots true deinterlaced video, but only at 15fps. Why bother?

All cameras should be 30p in my humble opinion. There's no real reason to stick with an interlaced video format.

You should have no problems editing footage shot in frame movie mode.

Wether that is better than deinterlacing depends on the software you are using. Also note that if you shoot in frame movie mode, you may have problems if you try to deinterlace later.

I've only used frame movie mode once. You can see that video here > http://www.flaviuman.com/breathing.html

Can't answer the Avid question. I do not use Avid.

Back