• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Format of script - printing

Hi
I have a small problem with how my script is printed.

I read about the standard of how the script should look like, I mean the margins, font etc. I also read that the script, especially in case of a newbie (like me) should not be longer than 110, max 115 pages. I am a newbie, so I decided to write the script in Celtx, since it is free. I finished the script and wanted to print it. I was much surprised to see that the printout looks different than what I see in the program.

I started experimenting with it, I searched some other programs. In one forum I read that there is a program that perfectly matches the standard in how it formats the script. It is called WriterDuet.

I made an experiment and copied first 4 pages of my script and pasted them to WriterDuet. I printed them. I noticed that these two printouts look different (however WriterDuet printed the script just like it looked in the program).

First of all WriterDuet made the printout 5 pages long. In Celtx there were 4 pages (the text ended near the bottom of the fourth page). In WriterDuet the printout took also 9 lines of the fifth page.

I started wondering about the reason of the difference. I noticed 2 things:

1. Margins are different in both programs
2. WriterDuet makes bigger gap between scenes than Celtx

I thought that there should be a standard which says what margins should EXACTLY be. I am surprised that it is not.
Celtx has these margins: Top: 2.8cm, Left: 3.8cm, Bottom: 3.6cm, Right: 2.8cm
WriterDuet has these: Top: 4.0cm, Left: 3.7cm, Bottom: 4.6cm, Right: 2.6cm

The difference is significant. Adding the fact that there is a bigger gap between scenes, it makes the printout in WriterDuet longer about 20 lines on just 4-page text than in Celtx.

I didn't try to see how the whole text would look like in WriterDuet, but I suspect that it could be even 5-7 pages longer than in Celtx. That is not what I want!

By the way - I know that I can modify the default settings for the printout, both in Celtx and in WriterDuet, but I don't want to do that. I would rather trust the program with its default settings.

I also noticed that both programs break lines in different places (this is probably due to different margins, but I am not 100% sure).

I am very confused now. I don't want to send somewhere a script which does not match the standard. But what is the standard? Does someone know?

Did you have a similar program with a program of your choice?

What program do you use / advice?

Please, HELP...
:)

Regards
JK

Last edited:
Did you just file - print - print to PDF? If so, that's not how you want to be doing it.

There's a 'PDF' tab below the window where you actually write your screenplay. You'll notice that as you write, you're actually working in the 'Screenplay' tab. Click the 'PDF' tab and the window will change so that the screenplay is set out in pages. In the top left of that window is a button that says 'Save PDF'. You can then print that PDF. The formatting should be fine, so long as you've used the correct format while writing.

Did you just file - print - print to PDF? If so, that's not how you want to be doing it.

There's a 'PDF' tab below the window where you actually write your screenplay. You'll notice that as you write, you're actually working in the 'Screenplay' tab. Click the 'PDF' tab and the window will change so that the screenplay is set out in pages. In the top left of that window is a button that says 'Save PDF'. You can then print that PDF. The formatting should be fine, so long as you've used the correct format while writing.

Ok, thank you. I didn't know that. I'll try today when I get back home from work :)

Oh, so you can't download the Celtx software anymore?

Sorry, I can't help you then. I've not used the Web based version, but it sounds less that ideal. What if you want to use it offline?

Oh, so you can't download the Celtx software anymore?

They changed everything actually. The free version is now just script writing, as in they took away all reporting, storyboarding, shooting script conversion, etc. Everything beyond script writing that was "free" prior is now pay. It's now in the cloud subscription based, which is fine, but I was already putting up with it having a clunky UI and fairly regular bugs/crashes, so if I'm going to pay anyway then other options opened up. I switched to Adobe Story.

Last edited:
They changed everything actually. The free version is now just script writing, as in they took away all reporting, storyboarding, shooting script conversion, etc. Everything beyond script writing that was "free" prior is now pay. It's now in the cloud subscription based, which is fine, but I was already putting up with it having a clunky UI and fairly regular bugs/crashes, so if I'm going to pay anyway then other options opened up. I switched to Adobe Story.

And what margins do you have in the printout from Adobe Story? Could you please measure them?

Celtx has to be TypeSet (at least it did when I used it, not sure about now). You have to connect to the internet and it formats it. Do this before saving PDF or printing. I left Celtx for Trelby and later Adobe Story, both are still free. Currently using FadeIn, only $50. So there are some other low cost options. But Celtx is garbage and bloated these days.

I left Celtx for Trelby and later Adobe Story, both are still free.

I'm not sure Adobe Story still has a free version, it may, if so then its online only (no offline) and is also sans all of the reporting, collab and shooting script transposing. I have been with adobe since photoshop 1, let alone premiere 1, so when i accidentally discovered adobe story "plus" was included in CC it might as well have been free. A rare xmas morning moment. I've been enjoying it, although it looks from its forums that support is withering...

I should add that I don't collaborate with anyone ever, so where the cloud became so magickal for me is the ability to work on my screenplays from anywhere with a browser (that's right no software, adobe story just loads in your internet browser, and its pretty damn slick/responsive given that fact, knock on wood) at anytime and have it always be, unequivocally, the latest and greatest version that I am editing. Put years back on my life.

And what margins do you have in the printout from Adobe Story? Could you please measure them?

Last edited:
Back