• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Format of footage/timeline

I've never changed the format of my timeline and I had some newb questions. I guess if I'm shooting 24p on my XL2 I should be changing my FCP timeline to a different format. What other times should I change the format from the default? Anyone have any good tutorials? Thanks.

You should always change the default settings of your timeline and overall FCP use to match the speed/quality specifications of the raw footage. The only exception would be editing offline, that is to say where you use lower resolution video footage than the raw footage so that you can smoothly cut larger resolution files without eating up too much computing power and then replacing the clips with higher quality ones using the timecode after the full edit is complete and ready for render.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask us any other questions at info@loughrancg.com

The Loughran Consulting Group

I'm doing a lot of reading on 24p. I guess there are two types of 24p? 24p and 24pa? I'm trying to figure out which one I should go with now. I'm just looking for a tutorial or solution for whichever one gives me the best "film look". I guess I haven't gotten there yet, but i'll keep reading.

Back