For Those Of You With Macbooks

Hey Guys,
I just had a quick question. Does everyone's macbook fans turn on loudly (Not extremely loud, but noticeable) when you watch flash videos on a website like Youtube?

Also, do you notice that fan noise surfing the internet snapping through pages quickly? (which is easy with 3 finger swiping)

Just curious what fan noise everyone else gets.

I was half expecting/hoping for this thread to continue "for those of you with macbooks - throw them away."

>.<
:D

There have been a few around me and I've used a couple of different ones for a while. I never noticed it. I actually always thought it was weird how little ventilation they have.

The fan turning on while watching video sort of makes sense because video is more processor intensive.. but surfing I can't figure.. How loud is loud? Can you hear it across the room? a couple feet away?

Hey Guys,
I just had a quick question. Does everyone's macbook fans turn on loudly (Not extremely loud, but noticeable) when you watch flash videos on a website like Youtube?

Also, do you notice that fan noise surfing the internet snapping through pages quickly? (which is easy with 3 finger swiping)

Just curious what fan noise everyone else gets.

I have a white Macbook with is entry level and I don't get much noticeable fan noise unless I'm running large programs and multitasking them like After Effects and Final Cut. But even then I don't get too much noise.

For visiting simple websites I can barely hear my fan at all, try updating your computer.

Can you clean a Mac?? I clean out my tower periodically. IDK??

I'm not quite sure how you'd go about cleaning a macbook. Honestly, my keyboard and screen are extremely dirty. I know that doesn't have anything to do with the fan, but I have this weird mindset that my computer runs better if it looks better haha. I suppose you could take some compressed air to the vent in the back though.

Anyway, I can hear the fan watching videos from a few feet away, it's not bad and it doesn't really bother me, I was just curious if anyone else was experiencing it.

Also, I think I've actually skipped an update or two when they popped up because it was inconvenient at the time. I'll go check now.

I have a white Macbook with is entry level and I don't get much noticeable fan noise unless I'm running large programs and multitasking them like After Effects and Final Cut. But even then I don't get too much noise.

For visiting simple websites I can barely hear my fan at all, try updating your computer.

Rainbow, how does your fan react to Youtube videos?

It could be something as simple as lint or dust built up on the blades. But I wouldn't blow INTO the computer.

1 - you can take a macbook apart to clean it, but they are packed so tight in there that I don't know that there's room for any debris.

2 - Updates shouldn't make your computer run hotter.. but macs can be finicky that way.. so I guess it wouldn't hurt..

3 - only thing I can suggest is to find an app that will measure the cpu temperature.. and compare that to other users.. (there are threads on apple forums with users talking about it)

But I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it starts shutting itself off or freezing.

Yeah I updated it and it actually seems to be running smoother... I don't know...

I was just curious to see if anyone else had fan noise watching flash... and upon some research I found that macs are notorious for having issues with fans and watching videos. I think I'm going to delete all my old film clips and files I don't need tomorrow... I must have 50 hours of footage I no longer need.

Flash Player for Mac is one of the most badly optimised pieces of software I've ever had the pleasure of using. There's probably nothing wrong with your Mac - Flash Player just uses ridiculous amounts of processing power and memory. Deleting your old video files won't do much to solve the problem; your best solutions are switching to an HTML 5 player where you can (I think YouTube should let you choose) and pestering Adobe into getting their act together.

Flash Player for Mac is one of the most badly optimised pieces of software I've ever had the pleasure of using. There's probably nothing wrong with your Mac - Flash Player just uses ridiculous amounts of processing power and memory. Deleting your old video files won't do much to solve the problem; your best solutions are switching to an HTML 5 player where you can (I think YouTube should let you choose) and pestering Adobe into getting their act together.

Is there a Youtube beta yet to switch to HTML 5? I know Dailymotion has the beta now.... and it looks great.

I know that deleting all my old files won't help the speed, I'm just trying to clear my computer up a bit :D

I've had fans on previous macbooks get louder over time - usually it's something in the fan and opening up the case to blast it with air will clear it out. But the fans kicking in on flash video isn't really unusual - they also kick in more frequently if the laptop is on a surface that doesn't allow it to cool effectively.

Yeah I actually switched my youtube to html, and its actually significantly better. (Besides the fact that videos will skip every so often, including my own haha, because HTML5 is still beta and it has issues)

Back