footage advice

need some advice.

I just got done shooting a season for a new television show. The Producer forgot to sign a contract with my production team. Everything was shot with my equipment. The producer was a total douche and since i technically own all the footage because of no contract was signed. Should I play hard ball and look to myself to get the tv show up myself or give in and give him the footage.

I don't understand...are you in good terms with the producer? If he forgot to sign...just have him sign it. Are you guys no longer working together? Did he not pay you?

Is this a legit television show? It sounds a little shady right now...I don't think television producers do that kind of thing. Is this public access?

OK...so he's a douche...and he won't sign? If you don't want to be tied to him, then keep the footage for yourself...if you *need* for this to be on 'television', then use him for the connection, but don't work with him again.

I think we need more info as to what kind of 'producer' he is, and what you mean by 'television.'

Last edited:
we are no longer working together. I told him i would defer payment if he would cover cost of travel, food. He never covered a thing. THis is suppose to be on a ghost hunt website i guess and then hopefully national television

need some advice.
I just got done shooting a season for a new television show. The Producer forgot to sign a contract with my production team. Everything was shot with my equipment. The producer was a total douche and since i technically own all the footage because of no contract was signed. Should I play hard ball and look to myself to get the tv show up myself or give in and give him the footage.
Who paid for this production? What was your job? Director of Photography? If so then you are definitely one of the copyright owners, especially because you were not paid any "consideration" and you provided your own equipment (the producer didn't provide you with the materials). Everyone who contributes "art" to the look of the movie is a joint copyright owner unless A) a written contract says that it was a work-for-hire arrangement or B) matters of fact indicate that it was a work-for-hire situation as defined by law. Of course a distributor doesn't know heads or tails as to what went on during a shoot, so they may want to see all of the necessary releases.

Also were you guys partners in this production? Generally speaking a partner cannot sue the other for "copyright infringement" - only "breach of contract". That's a big difference in a court of law. What all did this producer do? Did he put up money? Did he contribute any "art" to the movie?

Back