• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Follow That Car

As I am new here I thought I'd introduce myself with a short documentary.
It is a brief look at London's seedier underbelly as experienced by a late night cab driver.

PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS ADULT LANGUAGE AND REFERENCES.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/18177727

The audio needs a bit of tidying up, especially the way the music comes in and out but I'm pretty happy with it and it got me a good grade at uni :)

Nice job on the footage. It all looks rather nice. However, there's one major problem, in my opinion.

You've got a documentary about a person, and we almost never get to see that person. And when we do, their face is rather obscured.

This is a visual medium. Let me see that person!

I had to promise him a level of anonymity.
It would be unlikely he would of opened up like that if his identity wasn't obscured especially with the accusations against the police and customs officials.
That's one of the main challenges I faced making the film. People like people and making a film without one is always tricky. I had the idea in my head for a while but did not know how I could make it.
It was also a creative decision. Mini cab drivers are mainly an anonymous character. You spend time with them but never really know anything about them. What was the name of your last driver?
By not revealing a specific driver's identity I also hoped to give the impression it could be any driver, even the guy driving you.

I liked it. You captured that feel of London. I think the masking of his face was a good choice, gave it that seedy look you wanted.

Only problem is the audio, of which you already mentioned. At some points it felt the music was favoured over the narration i.e. it drowned out the guy talking. You should go back to it and play around with the audio levels again.

As I am new here I thought I'd introduce myself with a short documentary.
It is a brief look at London's seedier underbelly as experienced by a late night cab driver.

PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS ADULT LANGUAGE AND REFERENCES.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/18177727

The audio needs a bit of tidying up, especially the way the music comes in and out but I'm pretty happy with it and it got me a good grade at uni :)

It was great, really enjoyed it. As a North Londoner, this really struck a chord. Really good.

Back