• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Foley

Hello my name is Andrew Tiffney and I am Music Technology student attending Leeds Metropolitan University England. I am currently partaking in a project which requires me to research the world of Foley. I plan to create a website which investigates Foley effects and the creation of Foley effects and a feature which allows independent film makers the opportunity to download Foley effects that I have created to substitute the need for a Foley artist. If you could find the time to answer the following questions I would be very appreciative.
Questions to ask Independent Film Makers
The format

1. Do you think a website is a good format for presenting this kind of information?
If no what suggestions would you make (e.g. a document or Interactive C.D)

2. Would you be interested in viewing such a Website?

3. Would you be interested in a feature which allowed independent film makers the opportunity to download Foley effects from a website?

4. Are there any other features or aspects of Foley artistry that you feel could be included in the website?

Foley

1. How do you approach Foley when producing your own productions?

2. Have you ever hired a specific Foley artist?

3. Do you budget for the Foley aspect of a film when planning your productions?

4. What downloadable Foley effects would you find most useful? If any

5. one way of using the downloadable Foley effects would be to use them within a music software package and have control over the sounds using a keyboard, do you think this is a viable alternative to Foley artistry

Contact andrewtiffney@hotmail.com

I would love to see this website. More on how to, I don't mind doing my own footwork. Web would be a perfect outlet for this kind of information. I'll be getting into foley when we hit post production...everything we've done in the past has been through royalty free sound libraries...this one we're doing all from scratch.

1) Absolutely
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Articles describing common techniques listed by sound type?

1) Usually do all foley myself
2) No
3) Since I do it all, I only make sure to budget the necessary time
4+5) Not sure

Back