• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Foley Work

Has anyone ever thought of paying for foley work for their film. What would you think a good budget is for that type of work?

Welcome new member.

But please, you need to give more details.

What kind of Foley work and how much do you have? Is your script a drama, war movie, etc? Is it a short or a feature? Size of cast. What's your production budget? What audio equipment are you using so we get an idea of the quality of your audio on your picture. You get the idea.

Also, it's Foley (named after Jack Donovan Foley), not foley - some of the audio pros get upset constantly having to correct newbies who use foley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_(filmmaking)

Last edited:
'What kind of Foley work and how much do you have? Is your script a drama, war movie, etc? Is it a short or a feature? Size of cast. What's your production budget? You get the idea.

Also, it's Foley (named after Jack Donovan Foley), not foley - some of the audio pros get upset when newbies use foley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_(filmmaking)'

Thanks for the clarification. About a 90 min feature with 4 main characters, most 2 on the screen at a time. Do you think $1000 a day is too much?

I do Foley work - amongst other things like dialog editing, sound effects, mixing, etc.

It all depends upon the amount of detail you want. For Foley figure between one (1) and fours (4) hours of work per linear minute. So if you have a 100 minute feature it would be 100 and 400 hours of work. The large discrepancy depends upon the type of film; a straight drama takes a lot less work than an action film.

Foley rates vary widely - anywhere from $25/hr to $150/hr (and up!) depending upon the facility. At $25/hr you are not going to get a top facility; at $150/hr you'll get a nice facility. To get the best you're going to pay A LOT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpdNPsUnDqU

Do you think every film needs Foley? Should it be included when you're budgeting?

At the budgeted level a complete audio post is performed. Everything between lines of dialog is removed to another track and muted. The dialog is edited. Perhaps ADR is done. Every action is Foleyed. Every sound is replaced with a sound effect. Ambiences are constructed. Source music and the score are spotted. Then everything is mixed together.

So, as you see, it's not just Foley. There is a complete process performed on the film. Most talented, passionate filmmakers are control freaks, and a detailed audio post production is just another reflection of having total control over the final product.

The biggest issue with film sound design is to make it sound "natural." Most human beings never notice their sonic universe; they are only aware of sounds that require conscious attention, such as conversation or emotionally involving sound like music. The other sounds of which we become aware are "emergency" sounds that relate to our fight or flight instincts. The old cliché "it's too quiet" is directly related to basic survival instinct; something that is usually there is missing. We'll always turn for a human scream or an angry animal. We have been conditioned to respond to technological emergency sounds like sirens. But otherwise we almost totally ignore our aural surroundings.

The reason I point all of this out is that unnatural (or poorly edited) sound pulls the audience out of the illusion being created by the filmmaker. The audience is often unaware that sound is the issue, all they know is "something is wrong."

Now, as a sound editor/designer I of course have my obvious bias. But if you look at the films that you love you will probably find that great attention has been paid to the sound of the film.

You may find this article of some interest:

http://transom.org/?p=6992

OP, you lost me...

Are you saying you're the Foley artist Peter Persaud?

In which case why ask:

Has anyone ever thought of paying for foley work for their film. What would you think a good budget is for that type of work?

And your other questions...

...when you're a pro and already know the answers

We don't know you and obviously need to estimate your knowledge and experience-level based on your questions, previous threads etc...

...it's not nice leading people on and wasting their time when they're trying to help

This community is about helping indie film makers, not being a pro and not saying it then asking novice questions

Last edited:
IndiePaul

We'll it's too bad your think like that ... I'm not sure if you understand that there is a film industry in North America period. Not 'pros' or amateurs. It is a celebration of art.

In regard to myself, I am very interested in the challenges that face today independent film maker. I am fascinated with the fortitude of anyone interested with pushing their talents and the courage to say when they need help.

When you can't stop a listen to others in your field, as you like to say, pro's or amateurs, I am sad to say in my opinion you have developed an ego.

Cheers to all those who understand what film making is truly about, an expression of art.

You're the one with the attitude foleypete.

Wasting people's time etc...

Why not just say you're a Foley pro from the start?

Why ask what budget should be allocated for Foley if you're a seasoned Foley pro???

Why waste people's time? Do you enjoy that?

Also, it's Foley (named after Jack Donovan Foley), not foley - some of the audio pros get upset when newbies use foley.

:rolleyes:

The irony in your comment is unbelievable. Look at your first comment.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0675403/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Are you #$%*ing kidding me? You've worked on films like Black Swan and Tropic Thunder, and you need advice on how much you should get paid? You either know nothing about foley and the filmmaking process and are jealous of other foley, or you're a troll.

as you like to say, pro's or amateurs

:lol:

As you both like to say. You said "some of the audio pros get upset when newbies use foley". Also, there are pros and amateurs. Experienced people, and unexperienced people.

IndieTalk is a place where people help others with less knowledge in a certain field, share their opinions, and show/promote their film or product.

Please stop.

Tool ...

Let see you said

'Also, there are pros and amateurs. Experienced people, and unexperienced people.

IndieTalk is a place where people help others with less knowledge in a certain field, share their opinions, and show/promote their film or product'

But then you cut up a student with these comments.

'Highly recommend you get a tripod if you do not own one already.

Your KickStarter promo was jarring to watch due to handheld-style.

And 2k will not go far based on what your KickStarter says you need help with.

But this site is for people to share opinions and show.promote their films or product ... until you don't like them... well I hope that ChipsGray get's that 2 thousand dollars (pros don't like it when you say K) and continues on with his film making...

Can't wait to hear from you again IndiePaul

You're referring to another thread... That user asked for feedback on their Kickstarter appeal and I provided it. Am I supposed to lie and say, 'Hey it was great, I loved it'. I gave them honest feedback that was helpful. Whether they decide to use it, is totally up to them.

What feedback have you given???? Apart from wasting people's time and trolling [in your 9 post history here]???

Are you even the Foley pro who you claim to be???

And now you're name calling... Nice... Very mature...

As a community we try to help here. You're just causing problems and wasting people's time: asking for budget advice on Foley work yet - in later posts - you're claiming to be a Foley Pro who has worked on Black Swan etc.

Does causing problems and wasting people's time give you some kind of thrill???

You're either not who you claim to be and you're trolling. And/or you have serious issues...

Last edited:

Dude... Chill out.

You're obviously professionally employed in Foley, I don't get how you can't understand that people who take the time out of their non-professionally-movie-biz employed lives to try and answer/help are a little annoyed that you started out with questions that you most clearly have an intimate knowledge about.

How on earth can you seriously wonder "has anyone ever thought of paying for Foley work for their film" when you know damn well it's essential, and anyone who knew what they were doing and had the money would pay whatever they could for it?

Come on, you're making us Canadians, and Ontarians (sp?) look bad!

EVERYONE would welcome advice from a pro Foley artist here, everyone (eventually) welcomes the advise of all the pros on this site. Please, just step back, look a the situation from the general site users standpoint and offer what advice you can, and ask whatever you questions you have. It's a pretty cool crowd 'round here.

CraigL

Hi CraigL. Thank you for your response but the question is legitimate .. does an indepentant film maker think of foley. If so how much would you pay for it ... Is there a need for a service that provides good sfx for a lower cost to help lower budgets ... Is there a need for more instructional videos, articles or workshops that people can afford ?? Is there a need for a funding program to help people out?
The simplest way to ask people what they want is to ask them what they want.

And again I'll ask the question in it's simplest form

Back