• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Flashbacks color correction options

Hi,

please advice,

I have a lot of flashbacks in my feature film, how should I color correct them so they would have different style than rest of the material?

B&W is not an option, I need to think something else.

It depends on when the flashback is to, and what you are going from. Most just desaturate a fair bit and/or grade that's appropriate (often a retro look) to what's appropriate for the flashback.

I did previously use Tint 50% option in Premiere, this basically means that 50% of the colors are removed and it kind of works, but just wondering if there would be a better option as well.

It is a noir film, so just wondering if there is a typical noir solution as well.

Since there are a lot of flashbacks, have you considered just using the same color as the present tense? Movies like Batman Begins, and Forrest Gump just used the same color all around. If you want to grade and it is a noir film, back and white seems like the best option for noir, but if do not want that, and do not want desaturation, then perhaps different color temperatures. When you shot the feature, did you have an idea of what you wanted the flashbacks to look like originally?

I did previously use Tint 50% option in Premiere, this basically means that 50% of the colors are removed and it kind of works, but just wondering if there would be a better option as well.

I'm going to guess that you still had a problem of it either A) Not being what you're after B). Shots not matching other shots c) Both A and B.

Presets work best once you've done the initial color correction step.

As for film noir, it'll depend on what you're using for your film noir look and how you shot it, what you shot it on etc.

You *could* stumble through the process yourself or you could go the smarter route and have a Color Grader do it for you.

Hi,

I didn't plan in before the shoot how to create the flashback scenes, of course they were in the script anyway.

I think I will not get a pro on this one, have already one guy mixing the movie, that's much more important for me than color correction anyway.

Tint was ok but nothing special. One problem is that many of the flashback material is shot in nightime and therefore there not seem to be many colors or themes that actually fit.

Also I have been thinking could I combine a visual effect (clue of flashback) and flashback color correction in the same flashback.

But of course one option is to leave the flashback untouched.

It's like Audio. If you only give color correction a thought in post after you're already experiencing issues, what you can do may be limited by what you have and your technical abilities and most of all, your experience with contrast.

If you cannot get it done with color grading, you could always go the "5 Years earlier" using titles option. Or a time going backwards sound effect. You can also get it done through music, depending on when the flash back is happening (eg, 20-30 years ago) and so on. Even editing timing can be used to help accentuate the flashback. What you need to do will also depend on what you've done in the production design.

I wish you the best of luck.

Back