Fix my logo?

Man, logos ought to be at the bottom of your priority list. Make content worthy of a gee-whiz logo FIRST. Besides, a snazzy logo at the beginning of one's film is just putting one's EGO out for the world to see.

Good luck though.

I'm not worried about any of that. A good logo keeps people watching above some shitty logo. It's branding yourself.

I'm working on better content. I live in a shitty town with few ambitous people. Hard to get actors and crew. Even if i had a budget to pay people, it;d be hard as hell.
Shooting something thrusday. Writing now. So theres your working on content first for you. No offense intended.

I like the design. I'm not too hot on the zoom or pixelated whatever you call that fade-in. I think you should just slap the nicely-designed logo up there, stationary, with some attention-grabbing audio.

maybe you could have face slowly appear, wink at you, and Jesterforce production fades in afterwards.

Or do "drawing' type of the effect, where face looks like is getting drawn. Or sprayed on graffiti style.

Laser come out of his eyes, cutting out JesterForce Productions. BZZZZ!!! ;)

Umm.. just throwing some ideas out haha

Eyes fade in first, look around, and the rest of the face apppears. He winks, and the production name pops out.

maybe you could have face slowly appear, wink at you, and Jesterforce production fades in afterwards.

Or do "drawing' type of the effect, where face looks like is getting drawn. Or sprayed on graffiti style.

Laser come out of his eyes, cutting out JesterForce Productions. BZZZZ!!! ;)

Umm.. just throwing some ideas out haha

Eyes fade in first, look around, and the rest of the face apppears. He winks, and the production name pops out.

:lol:

Actually, those are pretty good ideas. I like.

A good logo keeps people watching above some shitty logo. It's branding yourself.

Hmm . . . and to think my film won awards without any kind of logo at all! :lol:

Yes, I know about branding, very important indeed. However, before one can have a brand to market, one likely need to make use of the PR you can from film festivals acceptances and awards to launch the brand. Film festival screeners are wary of snazzy logos, especially ones longer than a few seconds. Another thing one generally creates a new LLC for each project (the why is another thread in itself -- use the search function) so the logo sooner or later is tossed unless one has one heck of an insurance policy.

My comments are for newbies lurking, not cjnixon -- he seems to have a handle on what he's doing.

Good luck.

Hi Cj,

I usually don't toss around logo concepts willy-nilly, but the name Jester Force struck me as a no brainer and I was inspired to put something together. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not. It's vector so real easy to animate. The mouth could turn from a frown to a smile, or something like that. The eyes could scan left to right, the bells could jingle... you get the idea.

jesterforce_concept-1.jpg

I've been at graphic design for 15 years and a ground-up identity costs a fair amount. I'm not suggesting you have the money to pay for such a project. Just wanted you to know where I'm coming from.

You can see some of my work at this link
http://www.flickerpictures.com/JP-DSIGN/album/index.html

To be honest... I can't say that your films warrant a slick logo and they really don't do much for me, but that's probably because I'm not your target audience. I'm 40! That's old, right?

What type of budget can you drum up? How much were you hoping to pay for a logo treatment?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jeff / Flicker Pictures

Last edited:
... a ground-up identity costs a fair amount.
I agree.

To begin even a basic corporate identity package deal done right really does require a respectable amount of both owner examinations of goals and consumer/customer research.

You could look at a thousand different styles of smiley faces with a hat before settling on one that strikes your fancy.
Just pie-in-the-sky guessing wastes everyone's time.

Investigative reporter skills come in mighty handy at the outset before time and talent is wasted in the wrong directions.

It would be easy to spend a whole 40hr workweek just on what "seems like" a simple image.
Yeah, well... that's because you didn't see the bazillion permutations that were excused from consideration outright and the dozens of variants of the final product that was settled on.

Graphic design is honest work.

Last edited:
CJ -
Who is the bulk your work's demographic?
Who or what do they identify with?
If you were leading a music band what radio station format would your music be played on?

How would a paragraph biopic of the "Jester Force" name read?
What does "Jester Force" mean?
Who should read the name or see an image and go "Hmm. Yeah."?
Customer-wise, who do you NOT care about? Who DO you care about?

Working with a graphic designer is like you being a John telling a hooker what you want. Tell her what your needs are. It's your $20. Otherwise, go see the psychic down the street. Ha!

Ray

(Of course, you could also waste time driving around town looking for psychic hookers, but... they'd know where to find you if they REEEEEALY were psychic, now wouldn't they?) :yes::no::yes:

Last edited:
Alright guys. Just realized I need not worry about a logo and work on a product that isn't complete shit.
And I'm on a no budget all the time. So I wouldn't have any money to pay you great geniuses.
Thanks for all suggestions and such guys. Great people here.

Working with a graphic designer is like you being a John telling a hooker what you want.

Precisely, Ray. In fact, that's pretty much how I explain the process to all of my clients at our first meeting. I'm a hooker. You're the John. I'll bend over forwards, backwards, however you want. Just leave a 20 spot on the desk when you leave and we're good.

:P

It may be crude, but... I ain't the psychic hooker. Whatever you want. I don't care. But I can't give you your money's worth if you just leave me guessing. :)

I ain't the psychic graphic designer. Whatever you want. I don't care. But I can't give you your money's worth if you just leave me guessing. :)

This isn't picking paper or plastic; whole, 2%, or skim milk.

Plastic surgeon's gonna need to know what size of implants you want.
Lawyer's gonna need to know what goes to whom in your will.
General contractor's gonna need to know what kind of cabinets and counter tops you want.

Graphic designer's gonna need to know who's this for?

Back