• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch First try filming live band - Any tips?

Hey everyone,

Recently ive became the photographer and filmer for a band that I know (One of the members helps me with my short films). I offered to help them with filming them live to help them more out for free.

Here is one of the songs i filmed. (My favourite one) Other ones if you want to take a look at them in my play lists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No7mrQ3G0qw&list=PLA35C803B9F7D164E&index=2&feature=plpp_video

I did this all free hand with no adaptation, so I am sorry about the shaky camera every now and then as it was like the 8th song and my hand was starting to ache. Anyway I used a DR100 Tascam for the audio recording and a Canon 550d for filming and synced them up after.

What could I do to improve on what I have done and what do you think of it? (Apart from buying new equipment ofc)

Cheers

You joke about new equipment, but if you're planning on filming an entire live performance, the 550d may not be the best choice for the job.

The file sizes have a limit of about 12 minutes if you're recording in HD. Also, the 550d is notorious for overheating and shutting itself off within 90 minutes of continuous recording. It's a great camera, just not the best for this particular application.

Yeah you can get a datacard for 45 minutes but not sure about the overheating on this camera. So you're plugging your tascam into the amplifier that the band is using and recording from that right? What are you using for camera stabilization?

You joke about new equipment, but if you're planning on filming an entire live performance, the 550d may not be the best choice for the job.

The file sizes have a limit of about 12 minutes if you're recording in HD. Also, the 550d is notorious for overheating and shutting itself off within 90 minutes of continuous recording. It's a great camera, just not the best for this particular application.

Aye, the camera sadly is not the best for this, I wasnt joking. However im just doing it on the side of short films that I make. I would love to get new equipment but im looking for what I can improve on with what I have.

Yeah you can get a datacard for 45 minutes but not sure about the overheating on this camera. So you're plugging your tascam into the amplifier that the band is using and recording from that right? What are you using for camera stabilization?

There was a half an hour break in the middle which helped alot. But it did start to over heat at the end, but its okay as I wouldnt need to film the whole thing. Funny enough I just put the Tascam in a good location which picked up everything pretty well, I dont have the know how to plug it into things. As for camera i was literally just holding it.

Having been a musician and playing in a band for over 20 years, I would say that recording from the board is your best option. Mic EVERYTHING on stage, including drums, and get a good mix that you can have someone monitor for you. It will sound TONS better than a single placement rig.

Also, get your hands on some other cameras. Even some of the cheapy flip cameras, and set them up in stationary positions to get some different angles. They don't have to be the best quality pictures because it's rock and roll (sort of...) and some grainy footage would look cool added into the mix.

From what I've read, it doesn't matter how big the card is in the camera. The file size limit is 29 minutes 59 seconds or 4gb, whichever comes first. If you're recording in HD, that 4gb gets you about 12 minutes of footage. I don't know if there's a hack to work around it or not, but out of the box, that's the limit.

Having been a musician and playing in a band for over 20 years, I would say that recording from the board is your best option. Mic EVERYTHING on stage, including drums, and get a good mix that you can have someone monitor for you. It will sound TONS better than a single placement rig.

Also, get your hands on some other cameras. Even some of the cheapy flip cameras, and set them up in stationary positions to get some different angles. They don't have to be the best quality pictures because it's rock and roll (sort of...) and some grainy footage would look cool added into the mix.

From what I've read, it doesn't matter how big the card is in the camera. The file size limit is 29 minutes 59 seconds or 4gb, whichever comes first. If you're recording in HD, that 4gb gets you about 12 minutes of footage. I don't know if there's a hack to work around it or not, but out of the box, that's the limit.

Aye, was thinking of getting some other cheap cameras. Thanks a lot for all the feedback, will sort out setting up the sound recording properly.

Also your dead in, the 550d reaches 4gb in 11- 12 mins.

Back