First time filmmaker, wondering about camera choice?

Hey there,
I am a first time filmmaker and am trying to get a documentary off the ground. I am hoping to get information on hd cameras and what are good options. I do hope to take it to small film festivals in my area and I am wondering what software, equipment etc, will make that possible. I already have the sound equipment and external hard drives needed for the project, I still am unsure about the camera choice. Any information or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Try Canon consumer HD cameras if you're looking for something less expensive (than ROC's recommendation, haha). As far as competition between Canon and Sony, it could be an endless debate, but I've compared some older HD models of the two brands side to side, and Canon products stood out in terms of quality.

I'm only referring to consumer level camcorders though. Also, if you want to attach your audio equipment to your camcorder, be sure to check the compatibility.

I plan on using shure countrymen wireless mics, but a mic that would hook up right to the camera would cut alot of post production time. I don't have $100,000 to spend on a camera. I don't think I can afford a "proffessional" level hd camera, so something on the consumer level that is high quality would be what I'm aiming for.

BTW - I think DSLR's are eventually going to take over the prosumer market. Less expensive. Looks much more like film. The (many) downsides need to be shored up, but I think that's in the works.

I am working with a Canon 930 Zr camcorder with SHURE C680 Dynamic Cardioid microphone and lamps with daylight bulbs for lighting. I use Adobe Premiere Elements 7 (I do have my eyes on an HV20 though...Hmmmm)

Total investment: Just a shade over 400 dollars :) I'm just about to put the finishing touches on my first short.

As others have said, depends what you want to do and what your budget is.

BTW ROC, can you get me one of those at a discount? Say, I dunno....99 percent discount? ;)

Yeah I'm using a Nikon D90 and Rode NTG-2 and other mics with Zoom H4n for my set-up (around $2000), but I'm back up with pro glass. My big worry with people getting into DSLR for video is they don't understand that glass matters, and its expensive.

Its not easy to use, but I find HDSLR can give great results, but they are limited to what they can do due to the CMOS sensor (compared to CCD). If you have the money, get two cameras, one with CMOS and one with CCD but depending on your planned shooting style favor your budget towards the camera that fits you best.

Back