First steps in the media industry

Hello people!

This is mainly for anyone who has experience in the media industry, what were your first steps and how did you go about securing your first media job.

I ask this as I recently finished my university course in media production and need some advice on how to progress into the media world.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Marcus

What do you mean by media? Film? TV? Music? Video Games? Blogging? Radio? Interactive media? Advertising? Do you include actors, dancers, musicians, painters, writers, etc. in your definition of media? What was your media focus whilst in school?

Your question is MUCH too broad. "Media production" doesn't mean anything.

What do you mean by media? Film? TV? Music? Video Games? Blogging? Radio? Interactive media? Advertising? Do you include actors, dancers, musicians, painters, writers, etc. in your definition of media? What was your media focus whilst in school?

Your question is MUCH too broad. "Media production" doesn't mean anything.

Sorry, I realise that now reading it back.

I would like to work in Film or TV, either starting as a runner or somewhere in post production.

Are you at the point where you want to learn a bit before deciding where you want to fit into the industry?

If so, a production assistant is probably one of your better options. It can be a soul destroying job if you get on the wrong production, it can also be a great job that can give you lots of spare time to see what's going on and lots of variety.

Being a runner doesn't often get you that kind of exposure.

Are you at the point where you want to learn a bit before deciding where you want to fit into the industry?

If so, a production assistant is probably one of your better options. It can be a soul destroying job if you get on the wrong production, it can also be a great job that can give you lots of spare time to see what's going on and lots of variety.

Being a runner doesn't often get you that kind of exposure.

Yes I'm constantly reading and learning more, I definitely want to work in the production team but preferably in Post Production and then move on to directing or producing much later into my career.

Post production is tough to break into without experience or some kind of training. It's usually where the experience and knowledge comes in handy to fix the problems caused during production.

Your best bet is then to volunteer as an editors assistant. That can lead you to editing, which can lead to the directors chair.

The producers spot has a different line. I haven't heard of a line coming from post production, though, maybe a post production coordinator could, but PA or Writer is usually the best line to take.

Back