• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

First short film script

Hey guys, just wrote my first script (well, it's not really completed yet, I think there are some more thoughts that I want to make more clear) and I would like you guys to read it.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9q8SeLr1fqyYjc5ZFdYUnpvU0E
It's supposed to be 5 minutes long, or something like that.

Talking a little about it : The characters names are A, B and C just because I am terrible with names, and so how I knew that names wouldn't be necessary I didn't bother. The time is visible/given all the time because I really want to imply that these three characters are thinking the same thing at the same time, in different places of the world. The short is really naturalistic, the hivemind of men becoming one with the light. Have the looks of the scenes on my head, planning to shot someday.

Names:
If the names don't matter (and they usually don't) pick a single or double syllable name that begins with "A" for character "A", one that begins with "B" for character "B", and so forth.

An alternate approach is to choose an alliteration name linked to a defining attribute or occupation.

http://www.top-100-baby-names-search.com/portuguese-names-boy.html

Examples:
Character A = Abe
Character B = Ben
Character C = Carlos

Cop = Chico
Manager = Marcos
Robber = Rui

Strong man = Serg
Fat man = Fabio
Thin man = Tomas

Don't burn a brain cell on this dumb sh!t.

Back to the most important part: The story.
Okay, so I've watched 5mins of three guys self immolate, and... now what?

What am I, the viewer, the audience person, supposed to feel or do?

I see three idiots... being idiots.
Big whup-tee-do.
Am I supposed to be shocked? "ARRHHHHH!!!!! Three idiots set themselves on fire! ARHHHH!!! Never seen that before!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=self+immolation

Snore.

Looks like the beginning of The Happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEUO5e5PpGg

Now what?

Well... this little 5min sequence isn't going to be easy to produce, and what'll you have to show for it?
A largely unimpressed audience.
I could just watch this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caJiufJ4pT0

WHAT is it you want YOUR audience to take away from any story or sequence you present to them?

Names:
If the names don't matter (and they usually don't) pick a single or double syllable name that begins with "A" for character "A", one that begins with "B" for character "B", and so forth.

An alternate approach is to choose an alliteration name linked to a defining attribute or occupation.

http://www.top-100-baby-names-search.com/portuguese-names-boy.html

Examples:
Character A = Abe
Character B = Ben
Character C = Carlos

Cop = Chico
Manager = Marcos
Robber = Rui

Strong man = Serg
Fat man = Fabio
Thin man = Tomas

Don't burn a brain cell on this dumb sh!t.

Thank you for the tips.

Back to the most important part: The story.
Okay, so I've watched 5mins of three guys self immolate, and... now what?

What am I, the viewer, the audience person, supposed to feel or do?

I see three idiots... being idiots.
Big whup-tee-do.
Am I supposed to be shocked? "ARRHHHHH!!!!! Three idiots set themselves on fire! ARHHHH!!! Never seen that before!!!"

No. No shock at all, since the suicide itself isn't the point. It's more of three people, in different places of the world wanting and thinking the same thing in the same time: becoming a part of nature. If this isn't getting across and the whole "people just want to burn themselves" is I have a problem.

Snore.

Looks like the beginning of The Happening.

Now what?

Well... this little 5min sequence isn't going to be easy to produce, and what'll you have to show for it?
A largely unimpressed audience.
I could just watch this instead:

I don't think it would be so hard to shot since I am thinking in letting most things get implied.

Comments in red.

Thank you for the tips.
You're quite welcome. :yes:

It's more of three people, in different places of the world wanting and thinking the same thing in the same time: becoming a part of nature. If this isn't getting across and the whole "people just want to burn themselves" is I have a problem.
Yeah.
Self immolation has nothing to do with getting back to nature that I'm aware of, (might be a U.S. to Brazil cultural difference.) :)

How is "wanting and thinking the same thing in the same time" getting back to nature?
Looks like dance or group singing/prayer to me.

I don't think it would be so hard to shot since I am thinking in letting most things get implied.
I think you're relying on the audience to fill in too broad of a gap.

I'll acknowledge people are a funny lot.
The smart ones wanna complain if you spoon feed them.
The stupid ones wanna complain if you've lost them.

"Tra-la-la la-la! I wanna get back to nature. Let's set myself on fire! Tra-la-la la-la!"
Yeah. You lost me in that gap somewhere.

Yes. Once again, I'm inclined to agree with rayw on this.

First and foremost, use names. Unless the character doesn't play a significant role like a butler or a waiter, use names. It confuses everyone when you replace the names with letters. Even saying something like, "Tall German Guy" is better than calling him "C". I know their names don't really matter but for the sake of readability, just use names, even if they're dumb.

Second, you need to be more clear about your descriptions. For instance, your first shot says, "Shot of the sky. The SUN is isolated and waits (sic) paciently, just shining." I had to re-read that sentence twice just to understand what you were talking about, which means its not very fluid. It would have been better to say, "Shot of Afternoon Sun on a clear day." Another example is when you describe B's room. "The ambient of B's living room is dense." I assume you mean that the lighting is ambient and you can see high density and contrast with the shadows. For something like that, all you really should be saying is, "B sits in his ambient living room."

Third, your slug lines are too vague. You say things like Brazil or Germany, but what part? City? Country? Suburbia? You also say things like, "Day" or "Night". Well, what time of the day or night? Early? Late?

Fourth, your transitions are confusing, especially for the beginning shot. I get the sun, but why the dogs running? Where the hell are we in this scene? Which character lives around that scene?

Fifth, your dialogue doesn't sound genuine. No one says things like, "How long are you going to be like this?" when they see their friend flicking a lighter on and off. They would be more like, "You gonna be doin that all night or am I gonna have to drag you to this concert?" That's another thing. Why is his friend even there? What is his friend doing? Just watching him? Why? You need to be mindful of these things.

Sixth, your story sucks. I'm sorry to sound harsh but I'm a believer in honesty when it comes to these things because unless you know the truth, then you'll spend a bunch of time, money, and effort on it, only to come up short. Always invite the truth, even if its something you don't want to hear. Now, why does your story suck?

Obviously no one has the absolute say as to what's good and what isn't. At the end of the day, its all relative, but in my opinion I don't like this movie because its confusing and non-sensical. You need to be clear on the point you're trying to get across. As far as I'm concerned, I'm watching a movie about some people killing themselves in almost the same manner all over the World. That bares no significance or meaning to my life. If you're trying to show random people around the World come up with the same idea about being one with nature by burning yourself, then it needs to be stated more clearly in the dialogue as well as actions. Why these people? What makes THEM so significant?

Above all though, I don't like the message you were trying to get across. I see what you're trying to do, but it sounds like something my fun-loving stoner friends would come up with. If there is one thing you should walk away with from this topic you created its this: The question, "Why", is singlehandedly the most important question to ask in your movie. Because if you don't have a reason for why something is happening, then why have it happen at all? Why even make the movie when there isn't even a why attached to it at all?

So, the only reason you have for making this movie is to show how people yearn to be one with nature by literally burning themselves into it. So then....Why? Why do they want to be one with nature? We see that they want to, which explains what they are doing, but why are they doing it? No doubt, its neat to watch a movie about people burning alive, but unless there is a significance as to why they're burning, then its basically snuff.

I think you need to focus on your why before you do anything. For instance, with the Happening, their why was that it was some sort of phermone the plants were giving off to kill humanity. It was a shitty why, but at least it was a why. You have no why. You just have a what.

Yes. Once again, I'm inclined to agree with rayw on this.

First and foremost, use names. Unless the character doesn't play a significant role like a butler or a waiter, use names. It confuses everyone when you replace the names with letters. Even saying something like, "Tall German Guy" is better than calling him "C". I know their names don't really matter but for the sake of readability, just use names, even if they're dumb.

Second, you need to be more clear about your descriptions. For instance, your first shot says, "Shot of the sky. The SUN is isolated and waits (sic) paciently, just shining." I had to re-read that sentence twice just to understand what you were talking about, which means its not very fluid. It would have been better to say, "Shot of Afternoon Sun on a clear day." Another example is when you describe B's room. "The ambient of B's living room is dense." I assume you mean that the lighting is ambient and you can see high density and contrast with the shadows. For something like that, all you really should be saying is, "B sits in his ambient living room."

Third, your slug lines are too vague. You say things like Brazil or Germany, but what part? City? Country? Suburbia? You also say things like, "Day" or "Night". Well, what time of the day or night? Early? Late?

Fourth, your transitions are confusing, especially for the beginning shot. I get the sun, but why the dogs running? Where the hell are we in this scene? Which character lives around that scene?

Fifth, your dialogue doesn't sound genuine. No one says things like, "How long are you going to be like this?" when they see their friend flicking a lighter on and off. They would be more like, "You gonna be doin that all night or am I gonna have to drag you to this concert?" That's another thing. Why is his friend even there? What is his friend doing? Just watching him? Why? You need to be mindful of these things.

Sixth, your story sucks. I'm sorry to sound harsh but I'm a believer in honesty when it comes to these things because unless you know the truth, then you'll spend a bunch of time, money, and effort on it, only to come up short. Always invite the truth, even if its something you don't want to hear. Now, why does your story suck?

Obviously no one has the absolute say as to what's good and what isn't. At the end of the day, its all relative, but in my opinion I don't like this movie because its confusing and non-sensical. You need to be clear on the point you're trying to get across. As far as I'm concerned, I'm watching a movie about some people killing themselves in almost the same manner all over the World. That bares no significance or meaning to my life. If you're trying to show random people around the World come up with the same idea about being one with nature by burning yourself, then it needs to be stated more clearly in the dialogue as well as actions. Why these people? What makes THEM so significant?

Above all though, I don't like the message you were trying to get across. I see what you're trying to do, but it sounds like something my fun-loving stoner friends would come up with. If there is one thing you should walk away with from this topic you created its this: The question, "Why", is singlehandedly the most important question to ask in your movie. Because if you don't have a reason for why something is happening, then why have it happen at all? Why even make the movie when there isn't even a why attached to it at all?

So, the only reason you have for making this movie is to show how people yearn to be one with nature by literally burning themselves into it. So then....Why? Why do they want to be one with nature? We see that they want to, which explains what they are doing, but why are they doing it? No doubt, its neat to watch a movie about people burning alive, but unless there is a significance as to why they're burning, then its basically snuff.

I think you need to focus on your why before you do anything. For instance, with the Happening, their why was that it was some sort of phermone the plants were giving off to kill humanity. It was a shitty why, but at least it was a why. You have no why. You just have a what.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm actually trying writing a better way to say what I want to say, since it's being left as copy of some feature movie or people just thinking about the suicide itself, mysteries and whatnot.
And for the dogs in a busy street I used what a character said of light, a part of nature where it isn't supposed to be. Just couldn't show the shot how it's in my head on "paper".
I appreciate the tips on how to write it, I barely have any ideas of how much should be said in a script, since I've read a few examples that felt like a book. This is really my first try ever.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm actually trying writing a better way to say what I want to say, since it's being left as copy of some feature movie or people just thinking about the suicide itself, mysteries and whatnot.
And for the dogs in a busy street I used what a character said of light, a part of nature where it isn't supposed to be. Just couldn't show the shot how it's in my head on "paper".
I appreciate the tips on how to write it, I barely have any ideas of how much should be said in a script, since I've read a few examples that felt like a book. This is really my first try ever.

Well, here's the thing. The mechanics in writing a proper script can easily be learned through books and continual practice. However, what isn't so obvious are the stories we write and how those stories resonate with a larger audience. You need to be extremely mindful of what you're writing because its very easy to get trapped in your own head and its even easier to write your own thoughts down very poetically, without any real depth or significance to it.

This line, "...Light, a part of nature where it isn't supposed to be.", is basically the central point of the story. I understand what it means and I see how it connects to the rest of the movie....But, so what? Why does this message matter? It's poetic. Well said, and with enough practice it could even be well shot, but so what? If there is no meaning in the story, even if its not big or poetic, then you basically have a series of nice shots that show some cool shit. But, no one wants to see that unless there is a reason to see it and that's because it doesn't connect to them in any real way.

The point I'm trying to make here is that to tell a story is to establish a conversation with the larger audience because the very essence or nature of cinema is to express and make sense of the social paradigm in which it resides in. It's just like dreaming. We dream so that we can make sense of our daily experiences and cope with them. So the physical manifestation of Hollywood, itself, is merely a result of our natural propensity to reflect on what we experience everyday.

So if that's what cinema is, then that's what a story should be doing, even if its only to a certain extant like what most movies do.

Instead of focusing on how these people want to be one with nature, try and rationalize why it is important that they become one with nature. Perhaps they could form underground groups who believe that human race should be wiped out for the sake of preserving nature? Now, there is a reason for their actions and its connected to the social paradigm that exists today. There are in fact, people out there who want to wipe out the human race for precisely the same reasons.

Back