• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

First script: Should it be a short?

So, i have several ideas for both short and full lenght scripts. Should i start working on a full lenght or in a short?

There's no correct answer to this. In my experience, it's best to start with a short to get down the basics of formatting and structure. Now a short can vary in length. I think that a 12 page short is a good way to get a good feel for writing. Especially if you're going to shoot the short yourself, keeping it to 12 pages is a good way of experiencing the whole process from start to finish. There are lots of pointers on IndieTalk and the Internet to how to format and structure your script. Good luck!

Last edited:
Short.

Less than ten pages, preferably.
Go willing, only three.

Set up an email account or google docs account exclusively for story ideas.
Just store them there so that you don't forget or lose them.
Pull the ones that are "do-able", hold on the back burner those that you can fry on another day.

Resource Freebie #1: http://www.scribd.com/doc/12721428/Professional-Screenplay-Formatting-Guide
Resource Freebie #2: http://download.cnet.com/Celtx/3000-13631_4-10850080.html

Great advice. You´re always very helpful. Thank you.

First script I wrote was a feature. Second one was a feature, too. As was the third. Then I wrote a couple shorts. And a couple web series. I don't think there's any "right" order. Just write what you feel like writing.

i would say it's about how long you can concentrate on writing, and how hard you can concentrate on filming...

if you don't want to spend a few months on it, then write a short and film it...
if you can manage to roll out a full project takings many months, write a feature.

In my eyes, a short is for showing your talent.
In my eyes, a feature, is for showing your talent and a chance at making money on doing it.

or said another way, it's almost impossible to sell a short, but it's possible to sell a feature.

Well, if you want to write and shoot a movie, you better write a short film, it can help you to develop your writing (and directing if you shoot it) and you can do it in a shorter time. But, writing a feature (if it's good of course, after time of rewriting) can give you some good money if you sell it.

It's not really impossible to sell a short, but it's very hard, that's true. There are lot of production companies who are interested in horror short scripts for low-budget movies.

How about this...

There is a huge learning curve when writing/directing.

You will be better off writing/directing five four-minute shorts than four five-minute shorts, or two ten-minute shorts, and a WHOLLLLLE lot better off than a single twenty minute short.

Write and direct a feature for your cherry film?
Pfft.
Insane, IMHO.

You can start writing your feature now. Just shelf it to the side whenever you feel like it's too much. I've only been writing for a year and have two features that I think will turn out really good.

In the mean time I've written around 30 short films ranging from a few minutes to 25 minutes.

You also get better at writing from actually directing projects, which you'll find out is a lot more work than it initially may seem, especially if you're producing it yourself.

Back